Chapter 11

(Carly's POV)

I was just rounding the corner, chasing Reza, when I ran into Sarah and Erik. "Hello." I said with a smile as I caught my breath. Sarah smiled at me and Reza. "Hello!" She said with a laugh. "What might you two be doing?"

"I had just found him, and then he wanted to play tag." I said as I looked down at Reza.

"Oh." She said as she turned to Reza. "Hello, my name is Sarah. You must be Reza." Reza smiled at her and nodded. "Hi!" He said cheerfully. She smiled back and held out her hand to him. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

He took her hand and smiled once more. "It's nice to meet you too." She shook his hand and smiled. Then, Nadir came running up and looked at us. "I've been looking to you both."

Reza turned to look at his father. "What is it, Papa? What did you want?"

"You both have to eat breakfast." He said as he leaned down and picked Reza up. "Then, Carly has to give you a checkup."

Reza pouted slightly then looked at Carly. "Can we play afterwards?"

"Of course." I smiled at him as Nadir lead us both to the dining room to eat. Erik and Sarah followed us back to the dining room and sat down to join us, though not to eat. As I eat, I looked up at Sarah, "Are you going to go with Erik when he sees the Shah?"

She thought for a moment. "That sounds like fun! As long as you think it'd be able alright, Nadir?"

Nadir looked up at her, "Just as long as you stay with Erik, everything should go fine."

"I would." She said happily. "What is the Shah like?" She asked.

"He isn't the best to get along with." Nadir tried to explain to us.

"Well then, I better remain silent." Sarah said with a chuckle and a smile. I laughed softly and finished eating. I then noticed that Reza had finished as well. "Come on, Reza. Let's get this checkup over with." I said as I held out my hand for him to take.

(Reza's POV)

I smiled and stood up, taking Carly's hand. "It isn't going to hurt, is it?" I asked. She smiled and shook her head. "No, it won't hurt. I promise."

I smiled brightly. "Thank you!" She smiled once more. "Can you tell me about your past doctors?" She asked. I told her as much as I remembered about the many doctors I had in the past and hard and confusing cures they had given me. All of which failed.

She nodded as she listened and walked into my room. "Well, Reza, I believe that we will find a cure this time."

"I hope so. I hurt. Always. I'm tired of it." I said as I sat down on my bed. Besides, Papa hadn't ever told me but I knew from overhearing him talking that if I wasn't cured, I was going to die. I didn't want to die! She kneeled down before me. "Just have faith." She whispered, and then began examining me.

I nodded. "I'll try." I said as I stayed still so she could examine me. After she had finished examining me, she sat down beside me on my bed. "What you have is called Tay-Sachs disease." She whispered. "It's very rare."

I nodded slowly. At least I had a name for it now. "Is there a cure? One that will work?"

(Carly's POV)

"There might be." I said as I looked at him. I just wished that I had my equipment with me, I just knew that would help. "What is it?" He asked hopefully.

I looked down at him. "Well, you have to take a few shots."

He frowned. "I don't like shots. But, if it'll work, I'll do it." He said as he looked up at me bravely. I smiled at him and ruffled his hair. "That's a strong boy."