Chapter 8

(Daroga's POV)

"How is the patient doing?" Carly asked. I smiled slightly and sat up. Erik had insisted that I lay back down after a while and I had shown signs of exhaustion. "I'm very well."

"That's great news." She smiled as she sat down near me.

"I'm glad to see you're back safe." I said.

"I fell asleep in the meadow." She said with a shrug.

"So you were able to fall asleep for a little while. That is good." I said with a smile. She nodded and smiled slightly. "Yeah, I guess that's good. I got some rest at least."

"You needed it." I said.

"I suppose I did." She said. I smiled and relaxed against my pillow. "I'm glad you're stronger." She said.

"I am as well. Perhaps we can begin traveling tomorrow." I said hopefully.

"That would be great." She smiled a little.

"I've been away too long. Reza is probably getting worried." I said.

"I bet he can't wait to see you again." She said.

"He was very sad to see me go. I've been gone at least a month now and as the only parent he has, he is always worried about losing me." I smiled sadly.

"He's not going to lose you." She assured.

"I hope not. But, it is a fear of his." I sighed. He wouldn't be losing me, I would be losing him if Carly couldn't heal him. She shook her head, "I've never lost a patient before and I don't intend on starting now."

I laughed. "I hope I do not break your perfect record." I did feel stronger so I doubted I would. She looked over at me. "You won't."

"I believe you." I said with a smile. She smiled a little. "Good."

"I believe Reza will like you." I remarked after a moment.

(Carly's POV)

"Why?" I asked. I wasn't sure as to why he would like me. "You're likeable." He replied simply. "Do you like children?" He asked quietly.

I shrugged a little. "It depends on the child. The children I messed with were kind and understanding." They just wanted to get better.

"Reza is very sweet and polite. But, quite active despite his illness. I do hope you like hide and seek. He will probably drag you along in the game." He said with a laugh. My face lit up for a moment. "Oh! My little bro-" My face then fell in remembrance. "I've played it before." I whispered.

I could tell he wanted to ask me what had happened but decided against it. He knew I wouldn't tell him. "Do you wish to play? You don't have to. Reza would understand." He said.

"I might." I said after a while.

"We'll cross that bridge when we arrive in Persia." He said with a faint comforting smile. I nodded and smiled a little. "Yeah, I suppose we will." He smiled and just laid back and closed his eyes. "Get some rest." I whispered. "You'll need it for tomorrow."

He nodded slightly. "You're very right, Mademoiselle." He said with a faint smile before beginning to drift off. I smiled a little and watched over him as he slept.

(Erik's POV)

I sat down outside the tent, by the fire. "We will probably start moving again tomorrow, if Nadir is fit for traveling." She nodded. "You're right, Erik. We can't really waste another day. How far are we from Persia?" She asked.