Chapter 16

(Prince Jabril's POV)

I frowned as I watched that man kiss Sarah. She was my girl. I opened the carriage door and stepped out as she approached me. "Hello, my dear." I smiled. She smiled politely at me. "Good evening, Jabril." She said to me.

I held out my hand to help her into the carriage. "So, where did you decide for us to eat tonight?" She sat down opposite me and said, "Well, I heard from Nadir that there is a nice restaurant near the palace that is quite well liked."

I nodded and quickly told the driver of the carriage where to go. "Yes, the food there is wonderful."

"So I've heard." She said as she settled back in against the seat. I smiled at her and settled back in my seat. "You look lovely."

She smiled politely. "Thank you." She looked at the window.

"You're welcome." I smiled. We fell silent until we reached the restaurant. I got out and held out my hand. "Here we are."

She took my hand to help her out then retracted her hand from mine. "It looks very nice." She said softly.

"Yes, it does." I said at I took her hand again and lead her into the restaurant.

(Sarah's POV)

I frowned slightly but followed him and decided not to make a scene about his holding my hand. He led me to a table and pulled out my chair. I sat down and carefully folded my hands in my lap. He sat down across from me and smiled. "The pasta is very good here." She said.

"That's good. I am very fond of most any kind of pasta." I said as the waiter approached us to take our orders.

"Me too." He smiled and ordered for the both of us. I felt a faint scowl pass over my face as he ordered for me but I didn't comment on it. He took a sip of his drink and smiled softly. "So, how have you've been likening Persia so far?"

"I like it very much." I said as I sipped on my drink as well. "I've been trying to learn Persian."

"Really?" He asked with a smile. "That's great."

"Yes, I'm really liking the language. Erik has been kind enough to help me." I said as I glanced around the restaurant, admiring the architecture and decorations.

"Erik?" He questioned.

"Yes, Erik." I said as I looked up at him. "He's the Shah's head architect in charge of the new palace."

He nodded. "Yes, I've seen him around the palace." I smiled and saw the waiter coming with our food. "He's quite well known." I said. He nodded and smiled as the waiter set the plates down before us. I smiled and took a bite of mine. It was good, I couldn't deny that. He took a bite of his and smiled.

I kept eating, unsure of what to say. He looked up at me, "Why did he kiss you?" He asked after a while.

I set my fork down and looked up at Jabril. "Because we're a couple. I believe that's what couples do."

HIs fork nearly fell out of his hand. "What?"

"You heard me." I said as I picked up my fork again and began eating again. "Yesterday, we decided we like each other more than friends and decided to enter a relationship."

He looked at me and shook his head. "You can't." He said. "We were supposed to be a couple."

I shook my head. "No, we're weren't. I don't like you like that, Jabril. I do like Erik like that."

"But, I love you." He whispered.

"You barely know me." I said. "You can't truly love me."

"You barely know Erik." He stated.