Chapter 29

(Erik's POV)

Sarah walked out to the garden and looked around. "Where do you want to have our picnic?"

I took her hand. "Not here." I said. "I have a better place." I told her as I led her down a small trail that led to a little lake. She followed me and as soon as she saw the place, I knew she loved it. "It's beautiful!" She exclaimed.

I smiled. "I thought you would like it." I said as I spread out the blanket that I had been carrying on the ground near the lake. She sat down and began to unpack the basket. "You know me very well." She said as she spread out our food. I laughed softly and reached up to remove my mask. I placed it inside the basket, but before I took my hand out, I quickly grabbed a small box. I tucked it into my jacket pocket, and hoped Sarah hadn't noticed. It was for her after all.

She smiled at me as the mask was removed. "Thank you for taking the mask off." She said as she handed me a plate.

"You're welcome." I said as I took the plate from her. "I will only remove it for you."

"You look better without it. I only wish that people weren't so blind and you could leave it off forever." She said with a scowl as she filled up her plate.

"That will never happen, Sarah." I whispered as I watched her.

"I know." She said sadly as she began to eat. I sighed and then took a bite of my meal. "It's a wonderful lamb." I said with a smile.

She nodded. "It is wonderful. I've never had lamb before."

"I've had it a couple of times, but none as good as this." I smiled at her.

"Are you just saying that because I made it?" She asked as she arched an eyebrow at me. I shook my head. "I'm saying that because it's true, Sunshine."

"Just making sure." She said and smiled as she took another bite. I smiled and nodded as I continued to eat.

Sarah kept on eating and then looked over at me. "Where all have you been in the world?" She asked, curious.

I shrugged a little and glanced at her. "Here and there." I said. "Just about everywhere."

"It sounds interesting. Seeing all those places." She said.

I nodded. "It is." I said as I reached into the basket and pulled out some grapes to eat. She did the same and munched on one. "I haven't seen much of anything in my life. My family never took trips."

I nodded once more. "Well, this is certainly a trip for you I bet."

She laughed and nodded. "Certainly! And, a very permanent one." She said. "I won't be going home from this."

I smiled slightly. "Good. I didn't want you to leave." I said and then pulled the small box out of my jacket pocket. "For you." I said as I handed it to her. It was a simple silver bracelet that I had engraved with the words 'I'll always be with you.'

She opened it and her jaw dropped. "It's beautiful!" She set it down for a moment and hugged me tightly. "Thank you!"

I hugged her back and smiled. "I'm glad that you like it."

"I love it!" She said as she pulled away and held out her wrist. "Would you put it on for me?" She asked.

I nodded and carefully placed it on her wrist. "I saw it in town and thought of you."

She smiled and held up her wrist, watching the way the setting sunlight hit the bracelet. "Thank you! I'll never take it off." She said as she kissed my cheek.