Chapter 30

(Erik's POV)

"Leave." I called out. Sarah sighed. "Erik, let me in."

"I said to leave." I called out again, a bit louder. She sighed again and I heard her sit down beside the door. "I won't." I said firmly.

"Fine. Stay out there." I mumbled as I sat down at my desk. She was silent for a moment before she stood up and walked into my room. I heard her walking in, but I didn't bother looking up from my book. I wasn't going to pay any attention to her.

She was silent then spoke, "Erik, are you trying to hurt me?" I didn't even respond to her. Instead, I turned the page of my book and began to read. She stood there and then moved up behind me. Quickly, she snatched my mask off and bounded just out of my reach.

I slammed my book so hard on the desk that it actually shook. "Stop this!!" I was angry. She held the mask close to her heart. "Stop what? Trying to get your attention so you'll at least acknowledge my existence!?" She shouted back as tears again gathered in her eyes.

"Just stop everything and leave!" I screamed as I walked over to her and took the mask from her hands and put it back on. "Just leave!"

She hung her head and dropped to her knees as she was too tired for her legs to support herself anymore. "I still love you." She whispered. I looked down at her and then my eyes widened as I realized what I had done. I could never control my temper it seemed. I wasn't sure what to do, I just stood there.

She looked up at me and tried to keep from crying. She struggled to her feet and said, "I'll leave. If you ever want to come back, I'll be here. We can fix the problem." She said as she walked towards the door.

I looked at her and reached to touch her shoulder, then stopped. "I-I...." I sighed. "E-Erik gets angry fast and he isn't g-good at controlling it." I whispered.

She stopped and turned to look at me. "I understand." She said softly as she took my hand in hers.

"I'll be back." I said as I quickly hugged her and then walked out. I was going to go into town and buy her something. Anything to make her smile again. I returned within an hour with a bag filled as full as I could get with gifts for her. "I got you a few things." I said as I set the bag down beside her.

Her jaw dropped as she saw the bag. "A few? Erik, you have a talent for understatement." She said softly.

"I wanted to show how sorry I was." I whispered. She held my hands and smiled slightly. "Apology accepted." She said softly. "But, we still have to deal with the underlying problem."

I sighed, "At least look at your presents first."

"Alright." She said as she leaned forward and kissed my cheek as she picked up the bag and pulled out the first thing. I smiled and watched her. I hoped she liked them all.

She smiled as she looked through everything in there. "You know me well. Books and chocolate. Thank you." She said.

"You're welcome." I smiled at her.

She set the bag aside and smiled at me. "Now, we need to talk." She said. This wasn't going to be easy but it had to be done. I sighed and nodded. "Alright."

"There's only one way for us to fix it." She took a deep breath. "You have to become a Christian."

"I don't want to be forced into this." I whispered.

"And, I don't want to force you either!" She said. "Besides, you can't be forced to become a Christian, it's a change of the heart. It must be done willingly."

I nodded and sighed. "I'll try to have an open mind."

"Thank you. Shall I tell you about it?" She asked as she stood up. I nodded and sat at my desk. "Yes."

She walked to the door. "I'll be right back." She said as she ran off. I nodded and waited for her. She returned with a book and sat down beside me and began telling me all about Christianity. I listened to everything she had to say.

Some hour later, she finished talking and looked over at me to see what I had to say.

"It sounds very interesting." I whispered.

"Does it make sense?" She asked.

I nodded slightly then looked at her. "Why am I like this then?" I asked as I motioned to my face.

"I don't know why. God had his reasons. He made everyone like they are supposed to be made." She said as she stroked my cheek.

I sighed, "I wish I knew why though."

"I do too. Maybe God wanted to do something special and different. Just because you're different doesn't mean you're ugly or useless. He made you a genius after all." She said.

"But, not handsome." I whispered.

"You are handsome! Just not like everyone else." She said firmly.

"Sarah, please. I'm not handsome." I told her softly.

"You believe that because that's all you've been told right?" She said softly as she lightly kissed my cheek.

I sighed and hung my head. "Yes."

"Would you believe a blind person who told you he thought the sun was green?" She asked as she lifted my head and looked into my eyes.

I smiled a little. "No."

"Then don't believe people who can't see past their own noses who tell you you're not handsome." She said as she kissed me gently. I nodded and hugged her. "I'll try."

She hugged me back and smiled. "Thank you. And, please, at least think about this." I said as I handed my Bible to him.

I nodded again and took it from her. "I will." I said and then looked at the time. "You better get going."

She groaned and stood up. "I probably should. Goodnight, Erik." She kissed my cheek and walked towards the door. I kissed her cheek back and nodded. "Goodnight, Sunshine." She smiled and hurried off to her house. I smiled and took the Bible and began to read.