23.) Too Far

Christopher Maurice Brown

"Will the defendant please rise," Judge Brandlin says and I immediately stand. "The defendant is released with his own recognizances. The trial date will be set at a later time." He then slams his gavel down and stands to his feet proceeding to exit.

I sigh and turn to my defense attorney Mark Geragos to give him a handshake.

This is gonna work out, I remind myself as I stand to leave the court room.

Before I reached the doors for me to leave, my mother came to my side and hugged me.

"It's going to be alright," she whispers to me.

In response, I sigh and hope that what she's saying is true. If not, things wouldn't look too good for me.

****

While in the courtroom, no one besides close family members were allowed to sit through the judge's statements, so, for that reason, the only person allowed present was my mother.

If it was my choice, Crystal would have been there, but it wasn't so I couldn't get in contact with or see her until after I was released.

I received a text from her letting me know that she was getting off of the elevator, so, I went to open the door and wait for her now.

Watching her walk down the hallway made a smile spread across my face. It hasn't been too long, but long enough to the point where I miss seeing her and being around her.

As we engulfed each other in a hug she whispered, "I miss you so much."

I keep my arms wrapped around her as I respond. "I miss you too, baby."

A week was all it took for us to both feel like we haven't seen each other in forever and it felt good that after being in the pin for even that little amount of time that I was home again. Seven days let me know that jail was not the place to be and I would be sure to never see that place again.

Crystal and I lay across my bed still staying close to each other. I had an arm wrapped around her still and her face was snuggled up against my chest as we held each other's
hand.

"So," I mutter.

"So," she repeats still not looking up at me, but instead just enjoying my presence just as I was enjoying hers.

"Sarai. How'd the talk go with her?" I ask.

Crystal pauses before not exactly answering. "Chris you just got home. Let's chill for a second before we get to that, please? It went fine alright?"

"The longer I wait, the more anxious I get. And just fine? What'd you say? What'd she say?" I ask a bunch of questions back to back in response to her not too convincing response of 'fine alright.'

"Well fists weren't thrown and hair wasn't pulled so it went better than expected."

I raise an eyebrow at her. "You expected a fight to start?"

"No Chris!" She huffs. "Just know that it went better than it could have. Of course we had a disagreement, but we didn't fight or anything, so that's all that matters," she answers.

"What was the disagreement about?" I press.

She rolls her eyes and looks down at our entwined hands. "She just feels like it's not my place to say things like you're mine or you two will never be together again, but what bitch is gonna straight say there's a possibility her man will go back to his ex?" She asks rhetorically. "No one. And she doesn't know shit," Crystal pauses. "Gon tell me to stay in my lane. She better go on somewhere."

I laugh lightly at how upset she's getting and she straight faces me. "Chris, it's not funny," she says in a calm voice.

"Yes it is," I continue on laughing a little. "You getting all worked up over Sarai. Calm down, aight?"

"I can't just calm down," she argues. "She's obviously a threat to me."

"And that's when this conversation comes to an end...." I trail off. "Don't go there."

"I just don't get it Chris! I get that you love her, but what about me? Do you think she forgot to mention that you were fighting for her? That you 'obviously still love her?'" Crystal put her hands up to say quote on quote 'obviously still love her.' "And your lil friend that caused all of this, must not really care about you. He seriously did all this just cause you don't wanna be his friend anymore?" She chuckled. "That's cool I guess," she mumbled sarcastically.

"It's childish as hell, that's what it is," I reply to her sarcasm.

"But seriously, the only way that you can get out of this is if you can prove that he hit this girl or if he drops the charges."

I nod my head agreeing with her. "I don't know how I can prove that Sarai got hit by him, but maybe I can get someone to get him to change his mind about the case and all."

"Well the two of you have mutual friends right?"

I nod my head yes.

"Call em. Let them know what's going on and maybe they can convince him to change his mind about it," she suggests.

I take in what she's saying and since my options are few, maybe I will make a few calls. I know that Tyga is really upset about us not being friends anymore, but he's letting this go too far.

damn it's been a while 😭 i miss writing for this story and My Biggest Regret so much, but you can't write if you don't know what direction you want to go. I think I do now so hopefully I'll start updating more frequently again.

for those still around and still reading- enjoy! it's long overdue and I know this.

On the other-hand, what'd you think of the chapter?

How do you think that things are going to turn out?

thanks for reading! -lani