26.) Blessed

Christopher Maurice Brown

Weeks later, it was finally time for the case to take place on the date that the judge decided on.

Nervous was an understatement for how I'm feeling and things for my mother weren't any better.

She was sort of a wreck, since honestly- what mother wants to see her child, her son, go to jail?

Seeing her like this made me feel guilty. I felt like I owed it to not only myself, but to her for me to not get into anymore trouble if I get out of this. I don't usually get into any legal issues, but once was enough and I vow to never let this happen again.

Ty's mother looked more hurt than nervous so when she began speaking, I wasn't surprised at the words that I heard come out of her mouth.

"I was so surprised and definitely hurt to hear that Christopher was the one to hurt my son. I thought that they were the best of friends and would always be, but I guess that things change. Now, I'm just happy to know that this won't happen again to my son or anyone else out there," Ms. Nguyen shook her head in disappointment. "He has to go to jail. It's the only way this will be prevented and if he does not I will feel threatened for my only son's life."

I watched as the judge nodded his head and had a look of sympathy for Ty's mother. It was so evident that he was agreeing with her or at least to a certain extent.

She's so full of it though. I know Ty had to have told her what happened between him and Sarai since that leads to what happened between me and him. If he didn't, though.. I feel bad for her cause she has no idea how fucked up her son truly is aside from the alcohol.

"I don't know about that, ma'am," my lawyer responded.

The judge himself turns to my lawyer with a raised eyebrow and a questioning look on his face. "And why not?"

My lawyer folds his hands in front of himself and confidently sits up straight as he watches Michael's lawyer skim a paper and then look up. "Uh, apparently, your honor, the officers forgot to mirandize him."

The lawyer immediately looked over to the two officers that arrested me that night and asks, "Officer Battle, Officer Rivas. Is this true? Did you or did you not read the defendant his rights upon the arrest?"

"I'm sure that we did, your honor, but I guess that there could always be a possibility."

The judge looks down and shakes his head before looking back up at me.

"Well it appears that I have got to let you go."

On the inside I'm jumping up and down and screaming thank you to the gods but on the outside I remain cool, calm, and collected.

This isn't over yet.

Michael's mother begins to go into a frenzy after hearing what the judge said.

"But Judge Brandlin- the evidence, the witnesses! How is he off the hook just like that?"

"Ma'am, I completely understand what you're getting at, but without the defendant knowing his rights, there is nothing that I can do. It is not fair to him if he is sent to jail without having the rights read to him during his arrest."

Of course I know my rights, but if them not reading them to me gets me off the hook, so be it.

"Bullshit," Ty huffs and shakes his head with an obvious clenched jaw.

"Excuse me," the judge glares at him then gives his attention back to my lawyer and I.

"Well... No rights read, no possibility of punishment. Case closed."

"I-i can't believe it," Ms. Nguyen croaks.

Shit.. neither can I. I feel so blessed for this.

I stand to my feet and once again shake hands with my lawyer, Mark, before heading to leave the court room with my mother right beside me.

Crystal was also able to come to this one and as we headed to leave out, she held my hand.

I could feel someone staring hard and right before we walked out, I turned back one more time to see Ty shooting daggers at me through his cold stare.

Turning back towards the exit, my mother, Crystal, and I headed out and continued walking until we reached the parking lot. Before we got into the car, my mother stopped me and placed her hands on either side of my face and looked me in my eyes before speaking.

"Christopher, I don't ever want to have to see you go through this again do you hear me?"

I nod my head in response, but that wasn't enough for her because she repeats herself waiting for me to actually say it.

"Yes, ma'am."

And that was a promise. Jail isn't for me and nothing could make me get myself into this kind of trouble ever again.

So are y'all happy for Chris (aka my dad aka my husband aka my king aka my everything)?