12.) Closer

Christopher Maurice Brown

Crystal and I pull away from each other, but we don't move at all. Our eyes remain lost in one another's until she pecks my lips one more time.

"You're too cute," she mumbles.

"I should be saying that to you fuck you mean?" I chuckle. "But thanks. I know I'm the finest thing walking this Earth."

"Alright I'm not saying allat," she raises an eyebrow at me.

"You were thinking it. That's all that matters."

"Hmm. Maybe I was."

"Ain't no maybes bih. You were thinking it."

She laughs and shakes her head at me. "Conceited much?"

"You like it though."

"I actually do," she smiles at me. "You're confident as fuck."

"Yeah I am. Physically that is.. Mentally/Emotionally not so much. I don't think I'm up to anyone's standards emotionally really.. I dunno though."

She furrows her eyebrows at me asking why do I feel like I'm not good enough or capable enough to love someone.

"I told you. My last sort-of relationship wasn't too good. It was shitty as fuck to be honest," I responded with a chuckle then shook my head.

"She's missing out on someone great so forget about her, okay?"

I laugh a little and say, "Damn, I sound like a bitch."

"I don't think so. Just don't think about it.. Try to move pass the time, ya know?"

"Yeah, yeah," I bite my bottom lip and sigh before I turn towards her. "So when your fine ass gon let me take you out?"

"As soon as you ask me," she replies with a small smile.

"First off, when you free?" I ask her.

"Eh. I'm not busy later."

"Well would you like to go on a small date with me Crystal?" I get right to it. "This won't really be our first date since it's short notice, but know that I'll be asking you on a real date real soon."

"Definitely."

****

"Why do girls take so damn long to get ready?" I ask as I pull off from her shared condo.

It never fails. No matter the girl, no matter the time nor location the girl will always be late to get ready.

"Simply because we're girls! You want us looking all pretty and smelling good don't you?" She responds to me.

"I mean.. I prefer natural face, but I like when y'all smell good. You specifically always smell like vanilla."

"I'm usually natural when I'm home, but the makeup makes me feel like a different person. I like it a lot, but I could learn to live without it."