25.) Possibilities

Sarai Nivea Taylor

"Whoa..." Mya trailed off with wide eyes, obviously shocked.

"I know right," I sigh. "Things are so terrible right now. Plus my therapist thinks I'm moving backwards instead of forward."

"Meaning??" She asks.

"She means that I improved so much just to break down all over again," I explain.

"Break down is what she said? Well do you agree with her?"

"At first.. no," I admit. "But just as fast as I was against her she made me realize that she was right. She thinks that I got therapy for the wrong reasons."

"I sort of agree with that myself," Mya looks away and chuckles afterwards.

I raise an eyebrow and ask, "What? Why do you think that?"

"C'mon now, Sarai. I'm your best friend and I know that you got help for Chris, not for you."

I laugh lightly because it's crazy that she's saying exactly what Julia just said to me and it's even more crazy that they're both right.

"You can't deny that," she continues.

"I guess not," I agree. "I just hate that even after I told him how I felt things aren't how they should be."

"You had the man waiting for a year, what do you expect?"

"Myaaaa," I pout and drag her name out. "Be a good best friend and only tell me what I wanna hear," I say and crack a smile afterward.

"How bout... no. I have to tell you how it is or no one else will," she argues.

I continue to pout as I purposely fall into her lap and lay my head on top of her legs sideways. "I hate that you're always right."

She strokes my baby hairs as she looks down at me. "Shut up, you love me."

**** 

"I wish I could just come up with a way to get him out of trouble," I stress at random.

"Are you still thinking about Chris?" Mya asks. "Sarai, you needa chill."

"I can't.."

"I swear he's all you ever think and talk about. You live and breath that boy."

I sigh and shrug my shoulders. "It's only because I care. I don't want for him to get into anymore trouble than he already is."

She huffs and looks away from me remaining silent for a minute. I guess she was thinking.

"I feel like we're thinking too hard about this..." Mya finally said. "Sometimes people get off the hook from the simplest things."

"Like what?"

"Like if they forget to read the rights or something like that. I forget what they're called but I see it in movies all the time."

"Miranda rights?"

"Yeah that," she responds.

I nod my head understanding what she's saying. If the cops didn't say it to Chris he just might be safe from jail time.

I gotta call him.

Christopher Maurice Brown

I pick my phone up and look at who's calling. Reading Sarai's name caused me to frown, but I still sort of wanted to know what she was calling for.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Chris. When you got arrested did they r-" she begins immediately but I cut her off.

"Calm down," I laugh lightly. "You don't know how to say hi?"

"Hi, Chris. Now like I said, when you got arrested did they read you your rights?" She asks.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "What?"

"It's when they say 'You have the right to remain silent anything yo-," I cut her off again knowing exactly what she's talking about.

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law," I finish and trail off.

Of course I know the rights by heart, I've watched enough Law & Order to know it. I just can't believe I didn't think of this sooner, or better yet- my lawyer didn't.

Afterwards I keep the phone to my ear and just look at the wall blankly not believing that I didn't think of this.

After a minute, I kept saying, "Shit, shit, shit," as I hung up the phone on Sarai and went to call my lawyer, but I was so anxious that I dropped my phone.

I picked the phone back up and called. Once he answered, I put the phone on speaker and explained to Mark what we just realized and at the same time I texted Sarai thanking her.

I just might get this one off.

How would y'all feel if Tinashe played the role of Crystal? Do you love or hate that idea? 

What'd you think of the chapter?