Chapter 13

Dad drove a good bit outside of town to where the rich lived and pulled into the very last driveway. We walked up to the front door and rang the bell. It only took a short second for someone to answer.

"Hello. How may I help you on this fine day?" Said a man dressed in a fitted black suit.

"Um... We're looking for James." Dad said.

"Please come in and make yourselves at home I will go and fetch his mother."

We walked in slowly and looked around. The inside looked like the Cinderella mansion. We sat on the couch and waited for the guy in the suit to come back with James' mom.

"Hello! I wasn't expecting company! May I ask who you two charming people are? I'm Lila by the way!" Lila said cheerfully.

"Hello Mrs. Lila. My name is Alan, and this is my daughter Jessamine. We were hoping we could speak with your son James." Dad replied.

"May I ask why?"

"James is my biological son, and I was hoping that he would come home. If that's alright with you of course."

"Oh! You're James' father! My husband and I tried fruitlessly to find you for James, but sadly my husband died before we could. I'm glad that you came looking for him, but this is his home now."

"What about my home mother?" James asked as he came down the stairs with the guy in the suit walking behind him.

"Alfred! I asked that you didn't get James!" Lila said.

"My apologies Mrs., but he is the subject of your conversation with these kind people. I thought it in his best interest to be a part of it." Alfred said.

"Oh, fine. You're right Alfred. Come James. This man has something to tell you."

James didn't hesitate to obey his mother's command and sat next to her.

"Hello, James. My name is Alan, and this is my daughter Jessamine. I'm your biological father James, and Jessie is your sister." Dad explained.

"Really? You're my family!?" James said.

"Yea, and we'd love it if you came to live with us."

James seemed speechless for a moment. "I would love to! I have so many questions!" he finally said.

"Your sisters will be thrilled!" dad replied.

"I have sisters! Other than Jessie!?" James asked.

"James, dear! Are you sure you want to leave!?" Lila asked.

"Yes mother. You know that I've always wanted to meet my true family. Father knew."

"If it's what you want, dear. But you might want to tell them about your disorder."

"Disorder? I thought my siblings were powerful in the elements?" I asked.

"Is that what you call it? Mother has always called it a disorder. I've always had a kind of control over light." James replied.

"Really? Could you show me?" I asked intrigued.

James stood, and looked up at the chandelier and reached his hand up. The light dimmed and sparks of it floated down towards James' hand. It stopped and rested in his hand for a moment, then the light seemed to be absorbed by his hand and lit up from the inside like a flashlight.

"Wow! You're like a human flashlight!" I said amazed.

"I can also brighten lights to blind people, blow light bulbs, and use the light as a weapon of some sorts." James said as he released the light back to the chandelier.

"That's no disorder son. I gave you that ability before you were put up for adoption." Dad said.

"You did this to my baby!" Lila screamed. "You're not going anywhere with this man James!"

"Mother! You're being irrational again! I'm going with my dad, and there's nothing you can say to change my mind!" James said.

"But he manipulated your genes and made you into a monster!"

"If I'm such a monster, then I would have thought you would be glad to get rid of me!"

The argument seemed to go on for hours, but we were able to bring the argument to an end and pack everything of James'.