Chapter 18

I was bone tired, and emotionally exhausted after realizing that my arm was gone. I passed out asleep after almost half an hour of crying quietly, so I didn't wake up my sisters and brother. When I woke up again Izzy was awake this time.

"Hey Jessie." Izzy said sympathetically.

I smiled back instead of replying. I wasn't in the mood to talk right now, and Izzy understood. I looked around trying to find dad, but he seemed to still be gone.

"Dad's on his way home. He'll be here later with Will." Izzy said.

At the name Will, I looked at Izzy quizzically. I was still not in a talking mood.

"Will is our younger brother that dad went to find."

Tess and Jem were waking up from their hibernation.

"How long were we asleep?" Jem asked.

"And I thought we asked you to wake us up when Jessie woke up!" Tess said infuriated.

"Sorry! You guys haven't slept in a couple days since Jessie was put in the hospital." Izzy replied.

"Wait how long have I been in the hospital?" I finally asked.

"You've been in hospital for almost four days, Jessie." Izzy replied.

"And dad's been gone for that long?"

"He had some trouble convincing our brother."

"How much trouble can he give? Wait don't answer that."

Just then we all bust out laughing, and it felt like we were at home and I hadn't lost my arm. But this was reality, like anything like that was going to happen. Except in stories. The doctor came in not to long after we were done laughing to check on me.

"I see you're awake AND talking at the same time. How's your shoulder feeling?" the doctor asked.

"It kinda hurts." I replied.

The doctor nodded and left to get something for the pain. While we waited for the doctor to come back, I sat up a bit, so I wasn't lying down. We didn't hear the door open next.

"I see you're all not missing me very much and paying attention to your sister!" dad said as he walked into the room.