Chapter 17 - Home?

"What do you mean you're leaving?" he yelled over the phone, " For how long? Do I even get a say in this stupid decision?".

"Wes no. You don't get a say in this because you don't understand. And of course you don't understand because you BARELY KNOW ME. It's something I need to do for my sister and for myself. I get it if you don't understand, and I'm sorry I didn't give you a heads-up, but it's going to happen and we're leaving tonight".

He hesitated and I could hear his annoyed breath over the phone. Whenever he was angry he breathed quickly and through his nose.

"It's not fair Ray. I'm trying to get to know you and you're constantly pushing me out. And you know I can't come because I'm recording. I don't get what  I'm supposed to say or do or anything!...."

"Look I know. I know and I'm sorry. I promise I'll call you up as soon as I get back. But this is really important to me, you have to get that!"

"I know it's important and that's dope that you're happy! But Ray..."

"Anyway look I have to go, we'll talk alright? I'll text you! Bye Wes."

"Bye."

It was mid-day and the airport was crowded as hell. There were many businessmen in suits running around in a hurry, and many officials with their body guards constantly passing by. We still had another hour until we could board our plane, since I was always early in the airport to make sure everything was as supposed and our bags were checked-in. Besides all the hullaballoo that was taking place, the music in the background was pretty decent, which made the whole experience more bearable. The guards were walking back and forth in our area, and there was a constant beeping from the check-in machines. Jessica was cuddled in the chair next to mine and we were both observing different types of people as they passed us by. There's no better place to observe people than the airport. All travelling to a different destination, all with a different story.

"Did you call Jake?" I nudged seriously.

"He's picking us up from there at five. God knows what is gonna go down tonight Ray."

And she was right. Everything was different now. People that were once best friends, were now nothing to me but strangers.. But I knew that it wasn't their fault but mine. It's kind of hard to keep in touch with someone that never answers her calls and moves out of the state without giving any notice as to where she's going. Alright so I had been heartless.. And selfish. And unacceptable. But it's not like I was to blame; it was too hard. But now it's gone and I'm back to who I was-and ready to make up for all the lost time and for all the mistakes I made.

So Jess was right. I had no idea what would go down tonight and how they would take it. Well I'd either be kicked out of the state or... they'd understand. And I knew my friends and they weren't the kicking out type. I missed them to say the truth. I missed being the positive person I used to be. And frankly enough, I was tired of crying and tired of wasting my life. So I guess quitting from the recording studio was a good start to giving a stop to this waste. Finally as Wes said, I was ready to give my life a meaning and to actually make a difference - even in the tiniest way. And maybe, just maybe, I wasn't too late to go back to who I was, and move on to who I could be. And this time, my eyes swelled with tears but I didn't mind because they were tears of - quite surprisingly- joy. Joy that came naturally just by thinking about my mom, my dad, everyone I had for so long missed.

There was a long chime from the speakers and the attendant announced that the flight to Atlanta was now being boarded. And as scared as I wasn't going to run back and I wasn't going to cry. Grabbing my suitcase I smiled at my sister as she looked up, and finally moved forward.