Sixteen.

Sky's POV.

Sky, that was very rude - storming out like that." Mom said, as she climbed into the passenger seat of Amanda's car.

I stayed silent, my arms crossed as I stared out of the window. How could I ever explain?

"Sky?!" She said, turning to face me.

"I didn't like it. I didn't wanna talk."

My Mom sighed and turned back around in her seat.

I stayed silent for the rest of the journey, lost in my thoughts. I wanted to tell her the whole truth, but I couldn't lose her. She was all I had.
***************

I spent the rest of the day holed up in my room. I hated the worry I'd put my mom through, I was so ashamed.

I cleaned my room without complaint. I'd never lost my temper like that before, I'd always been so calm.

My phone beeped and I ignored it. But then I remembered the camera and the threats, and panic rose in my chest. I sighed and opened up the text.

'0h dear Sky. What a mess you're making of things. It's time. You need to meet me at central park at 9pm tomorrow. If you don't, your precious mother dies.
Jakthelad.'

My breathing increased as I paced around my room.

'What do you want from me?' I fired back.

Would he kill me? Would he lock me up and throw away the key?

Would I ever see my Mom again if I went with him?

I didn't have a choice, I knew that and he knew that. If I didn't go with him, they'd kill my Mom and I couldn't let that happen. I had to protect her. I had to protect everyone I loved.

'You'll see. Be there.
Jakthelad.'

Olivia's POV.

I left Sky alone for most of the day but at 7pm, I decided we needed to talk. I knocked on her door and waited for her reply.

"Come in." She said.

I opened the door and she perched on the edge of the bed, biting her lip. She looked terrified.

"You cleaned your room." I said, impressed, glancing around.

"Yeah. I'm sorry Mommy."

I sat on the bed and put my arms around her, squeezing her tightly. She sobbed into my shoulder and my heart broke into pieces.

"Please don't ever scare me like that again sweetie. I thought I'd lost you."

"I won't. I love you so much, I'd do anything to protect you."

I broke out of the hug and put my hands on her shoulders.

"I'm the one who should be protecting you. You're the child. I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you."

"I want you to know that I love you Mom. It's just been me and you for so long. You're my best friend."

We stayed like that for a while, hugging each other. I knew there was something else she wasn't telling me, but I wasn't going to push it. She'd just started opening up to me.

"Get some sleep." I said, kissing the top of her head. "Is it okay if I pop to the station for a bit? You can say no."

"No. It's fine, I'm gonna go to sleep."

"Ok sweetie. I won't be long. Ring me if you need me, I'll have my phone on me at all times."

**************

"How's it going?" I asked Nick Amaro as I walked into the station.

"Amanda's spoken to Charlotte and Carolyn again and we are sure the ringleader is still out there."

I sighed. This case seemed never ending.

"Any idea who it is?" I asked, chucking my bag under my desk.

"No."

Nick left the room and I threw myself down into my desk chair. Everything seemed awful at the moment. This case; the look on Carolyn's face when we rescued her; Sky, oh my baby Sky.

"Liv." Amanda said. "What are you doing here?!"

"I wanted to see how the case is going."

"Couldn't you have rung me? You didn't need to come out here."

"I needed breathing space. Sky is being distant. I'm not staying long."

Amanda tutted and sat at her desk.

"Why are you tutting at me?"

"You need to leave work alone for a while. I know things are tough at the moment."

"If I leave work alone, I'll go crazy. Look, Sky is fine, we had a chat and she's gone to sleep."

"Okay, I get it."

I loved Amanda to pieces and I know she only acts disapproving because she cares. I get it. I had to hope Sky would start compiling with treatment and start talking to me soon, or I didn't know what would happen.