July 4th

July 4th

        I heard your girlfriend broke up with you. I also heard that she made you really happy, so I'm sorry about that... But if I had the chance, I wouldn't tell you I'm sorry. I would tell you not to believe everything you think happiness is.

        Happiness isn't good sex, summer, sunsets, fireflies, oversized sweaters, finding the other sock, holding hands, old movies, indie music, libraries, and whatever other masks you put on Happiness.

        Happiness can be the eye of the storm.

        Happiness can be the skeleton in your closet.

        Happiness can be the snake in the grass.

        Happiness comes and goes as It pleases.

        Happiness can be a sleeping giant.

        Happiness can be the confidant of Sorrow.

        The pursuit of Happiness can destroy you. Don't look for it and don't dress it up in masks of good first dates and finding a twenty-dollar bill in the jacket you haven't wore since last October. Wake up every morning and live your life. Leave Happiness in its cave or as the rain cloud above your head. Then, someday, after you've let come what may, you'll get to know who Happiness really is...

        ...and I hope with all my heart that she's good to you.