nine.

MOONS.
009. | ❛ no

"You came all this way to protect Rebekah? Bit of a wasted trip, really

"You came all this way to protect Rebekah? Bit of a wasted trip, really."

"Your sire has moved on to greener pastures."

"My fate is bound to hers! I should be allowed to protect her."

"You needn't concern yourself with Rebekah. Besides, I doubt she'd make the same mistake twice."

"The first mistake being...?"

"Ever trusting you."

FLASHBACK

Rebekah walks into Aurora's bedroom to find her sprawled across her bed, her wrists and ankles slashed with a knife. She is bleeding out onto her sheets, but is not quite dead yet, and Rebekah, panicked, rushes over to her and bites her wrist.

Rebekah feeds Aurora her blood, and after a moment, Aurora's wounds heal, and she awakens with a gasp. She sits up and scoots backward away from Rebekah, who is gasping from shock and fear and looking at her with wide eyes.

"You stupid girl! Why would you do this to yourself?" Aurora pants for breath and takes a moment before she answers.

"It's Tristan. He forbade me from seeing Niklaus. Everything inside of me was screaming. I had to let it out." Rebekah looks at her sympathetically, but is clearly still upset by what she's just witnessed.

"To take your own life? Aurora, this pain, it will pass..."

"You do not understand. My own mind is a demon that haunts me. It tortures me and hunts me. But you? You are not saddled with such disease. You and your family, you're never ill, and if you are wounded..." Aurora looks at the now-vanished wounds on her wrists in wonder

"You heal, like Lucien after Niklaus fed him blood."

"We have our own torments, Aurora. None that I would dare wish on another."

"Your torments of hunger and blood do not frighten me! Niklaus once told me he never felt more alive than when he became what he is."

"And do we seem alive to you? Hiding in your family's manor, pretending to be of a class and stature that we are not? We are cursed."

"Perhaps, but your curse is nothing compared to mine."
Aurora's eyes fill with tears, and Rebekah stares at her for a long moment. When it becomes clear that Rebekah is not going to turn her, Aurora's voice becomes emotionless.

"Please go. I want to sleep."
Rebekah, not realizing what she's planning, just looks at her sympathetically and rubs her leg affectionately.

"Oh, sweet girl." Aurora lays back in her bed, and Rebekah eventually leaves as Aurora asked and closes the door behind her. Once she's gone, Aurora sits back up in bed, looking at the moon overhead through the large window on the other side of the room.

"Your sister smelled of wild berries. It was intoxicating. And the night smelled of lavender."

Aurora walks toward the window, lifting the skirt of her nightgown as she steps up onto the window sill and looks down at the ground below.

"I could see the garden from above."

Aurora takes a deep breath, closes her eyes, and allows herself to fall forward in a swan-dive

END FLASHBACK

Aurora smiles and finishes her story as she sprays some perfume onto her neck.

"The last thing I remember as a human was that scent, which clung to me all the way down."

Aurora is in the middle of pricking her index fingertip with a pin while Klaus glares at her unhappily.

"You can always catch an insect with the smell of a flower..." Aurora drips her blood into a bottle of perfume, before dabbing some of the bloody perfume on her neck and holding it out to Klaus' face.

"But it's the smell of blood that draws a carnivore." Klaus roughly grabs Aurora by the wrist and leans in close to her.

"And what draws a snake?"

"Ooh, how you loathe me, so certain I've come to do you harm. Yet, as I recall, we did plenty of harm to each other. And, if I'm not mistaken, we both rather liked it, didn't we?" She faces towards Luna again who now seems to be hurt by all this story telling of Klaus's first love.

FLASHBACK

Klaus is sitting solemnly in the chapel, which has been warmed by several metal fire pits throughout the room, when Aurora walks in, wearing a dark dress and looking as though she's in awe. When Klaus hears her coming, he hops to his feet, and the sight of her nearly brings him to tears, though she's visibly happy.

"What have you done?"

"Remade myself into your equal!"

Klaus's face twists in a mix of anger and sadness

"No!"

"Yes! Now we need never be alone."

Aurora vamp-speeds toward Klaus and kisses him passionately, biting his lip so hard she draws blood. When he pulls away, a dribble of blood running down his chin, Aurora's vampire face comes out, and she licks her bloody fangs with relish. Klaus' vampire face comes out as well, and he vamp-speeds them over to the nearby wall, where he pins her as he begins to kiss her even more roughly. After a moment, Aurora spins them, speeding them against one of the support beams, where Klaus' back slams against the stone as they continue to make out. Klaus then lifts Aurora up so her legs are wrapped around his waist as they continue their tryst.

"Do you remember what that first time felt like, to be with someone every bit as powerful, as tormented, and as cursed as you?"

END FLASHBACK

Aurora is still standing close to Klaus, who is not unaffected by her words.

"Yes." He said quietly which broke Luna's heart a little more.

"Look me in the eye and tell me that you haven't thought about what we had every day for the last thousand years." Aurora said trying to get a rise out of Luna.

Klaus, torn between his romantic desires and the fact that he still cannot trust her, remains silent.

"You want to know why I have come? Because after a thousand years of trying to erase your touch, your smell, the taste of your lips... I'm here for you. For this."
Aurora moves her face closer to Klaus', testing to see how he reacts, and when he doesn't move, she slowly and carefully kisses him on the lips.

"No" Luna tries to say through the cloth but comes out more as a mumble as she uses the last bit of energy she has left.