twelve.

MOONS.
012. | ❛ lady of the house.

Luna must have fallen asleep waiting for Klaus, for the person she loved

Luna must have fallen asleep waiting for Klaus, for the person she loved. It came as a shock to her that Klaus choose Aurora over her. Her neck was sore from falling asleep on the porch seat. Her back pocket started buzzing, not even concerned about who it was she picked up, "What!?!" She said in a rather rude tone.

"It's rather rude to answer the phone like that." Elijah's voice responded.

"Elijah, if you couldn't tell, I'm pretty pissed off and I'm not in the mood to talk. "

"My darling Luna, I recently heard of your and Klaus's situation and I must say that I am very displeased. I thought Klaus knew better.

"Apparently he doesn't so why don't you get to the chase Elijah?"

"Well the holiday spirit is in the air, and there is a feast going on for Thanksgiving and was wondering if you would come along?"

"Elijah, as much as I am thrilled by the offer but I think that it's too soon for me to show my face."

"At least reconsider Luna" As he hung up, Luna sat there in astonishment. Gratitude. Appreciation. Giving thanks. No matter what words you use, it all means the same thing. Happy. We're supposed to be happy. Grateful for friends, family, happy to just be alive... whether we like it or not. Maybe we're not supposed to be happy. Maybe gratitude... has nothing to do with joy. Maybe being grateful means recognizing what you have for what it is. Appreciating small victories. Admiring the struggle it takes simply to be human. As she looked in the closet to see what she could possibly wear to make Klaus regret his decision.

********************

Luna got there exceptionally early and saw Lucien standing at the bar.

"Why don't you look lovely?" Lucien said towards Luna as she blushed at the rather nice compliment.

"You're too kind."

A formal dinner table has been set up in the courtyard, and the bar has been replaced and filled with fancy decanters full of various forms of alcohol, along with plates of grapes, cheese, and bread as hors d'oerves. Lucien is at the bar, pouring himself another glass of bourbon, when Tristan arrives with a bouquet of flowers in a large pot in his hand.

"Aw, flowers for me? You shouldn't have!" Lucien says towards Tristan. Tristan rolls his eyes as he lays the pot of flowers on the other end of the bar, and Lucien pops a grape into his mouth before sitting on one of the barstools.

"They're for the lady of the house. The well-mannered bring a gift when invited to dinner. I assume you brought nothing?"

"Nothing but my deepest respect for you." Tristan hands the flowers to Luna, indicating the flowers for her.

"I don't think I these are corresponding to me. I don't exactly live here anymore."

"No. I'm sorry I just thought you were..."

"Certain complications arose, I'm staying elsewhere." Luna interpreted Tristan.

"Still, the flowers still correspond to the lovely lady."

Just then, Klaus enters the room, having changed into a nice black velvet dinner jacket over his usual dark henley and jeans.

"Luna, I don't expect you" he said in awe at her present

"Yeah, well-"

"Lovely. We're all getting along!"

"Mmm, like a fuse and a match." Lucien said in annoyed

"I take it Aurora is on her way?" At the sound of her name, Aurora waltzes into the room in a vintage, dark-purple velvet dress with large, puffy sleeves and smiles widely at those in the room.

"I'm sorry I'm late. Just freshening up. I did want to look pretty." Klaus smiles at her in amusement, though his smile falls when she walks straight toward Lucien, who seems to have been momentarily stricken speechless by the sight of her.

"Well, well. If it isn't my old friend Lucien." Lucien begins to recover from the shock enough to reply.

"Hello, Aurora. It's been ages. You look..." Klaus, seemingly jealous of this interaction, quickly walks toward Aurora and takes her hand in his own.

"You look ravishing." Klaus kisses her hand, which makes Lucien, Tristan, and Luna uncomfortable. However, before the three of them can start a fight, Elijah descends the staircase and joins Klaus and their guests in the courtyard.

"Welcome to our home! I do wish it was under better circumstances. We all face a common threat-- a prophecy warning that my siblings and I would all fall within a year."
Elijah pauses dramatically.

"I fear my sister already has." After a moment of awkward silence, Tristan speaks up.

"Only as a precautionary measure, I assure you."

Lucien looks at Tristan in surprise and disapproval, and Elijah, too, does not seem pleased by this information.

"Interesting. You see, I would have called it an entirely unnecessary measure. We need to unite to prevent the prophecy from coming to pass. And, since any alliance is impossible without honesty..."
Elijah and Klaus exchange a quick look before Elijah continues.

"Let us begin this evening's proceedings by formally acknowledging your clandestine alliance." Elijah gestures at Tristan and Lucien, who both look stunned and a little afraid by this admission so early in the evening. However, after a moment, Lucien nervously replies to Elijah's statement.

"Now gentlemen, before--" Elijah quickly and patronizingly cuts Lucien off before he can finish his sentence.

"Shh, shh, shh, shh. Lucien, please. Let's not ruin the dinner before it begins."

"And, do try to bear in mind, we expect and honest and productive negotiation this evening!" Klaus says in excitement

"Shall we begin?" Tristan and Lucien both sigh nervously, while Aurora just smiles, visibly amused by the drama of this conversation. Elijah extends his arm toward the table as Aurora, Tristan, Luna, and Lucien, followed shortly afterward by Klaus, walk to take their seats. Klaus looks over at Elijah, who nods curtly before joining them all at the table.

Elijah and Klaus are sitting at both ends of the table while Tristan and Aurora sit side-by-side on the right side, and Lucien and Luna to sit together. The table is loaded with all manner of Thanksgiving foods, including a turkey, stuffing, hrown gravy, cranberry sauce, and salad.

"It's a bit odd, isn't it? Celebrating an American holiday?" Lucien brings up.

"More American the better." Luna responds

"Well, you know, Lucien, I rather enjoy Thanksgiving. The turkey, the cranberry sauce... The lies, the deceit, the betrayal... Perhaps we should begin this evening's proceedings with a little confession?"