Chapter 18~I skip school?

"We're missing classes today." I say as we carry a load of Jayson's stuff in.

"No we aren't. You said it yourself. We need to go to class, and I can't afford to miss any."

"Well we are. I want a explanation, and I sense that it probably won't take 5 minutes, which is all the time we have. Plus you need to return this car. Let's take a day off together okay?" I sigh.

"Fine, but I get to add one thing to the agenda. You are going to learn to fight." He replies.

"What? No!"

"Yes. You need to be able to protect yourself now that Carson knows we know each other. I wish it wasn't this way, but I'm insisting. Instead of making you be hands off like my brother would make you, I want you to be able to protect yourself in case something happens." He says.

I nod slowly.

"I hope nothing will happen, but I can't promise it." He explains.

"So lets bring this stuff up to your room, and you can explain your connection to Carson while we organize."

"Okay."

We walk upstairs and dump his stuff on the carpet. I start to drag the dresser over to the corner but Jayson places a hand on my shoulder.

"Let's just talk for now. I think you deserve a full, proper explanation." He sighs.

I agree, and sit down on the carpet, crossing my legs.

"So, I take it you know Carson." He says.

I nod.

"We were dating for a few weeks." I tell him.

"That's the boyfriend you were talking about. The really nice one?" He asks.

"Like I said. We've only been dating a few weeks. I didn't know he was like that."

"Well, he moved here to live with my dad, and started going to the same university as me last year. He is 22, a year older than me. He has always been my dad's favorite since my mom and him got divorced. He gets fancy cars, money, and has been living with my dad most of year."

"So why is he moving out now?" I ask.

"He wants to prove to my dad that he is mature enough to live on his own and that he is really stable." Jayson explains.

"And is he?" I ask.

"Are you really asking that after what you just saw?" He asks, laughing in disbelief.

"Well, I'm just making sure. He seemed nice before today."

"You've known him for a few weeks, and I've known him for years, unfortunately. I know him better."

"Okay, okay. Fine, he's out of control. So now what?"

"I'm not sure. But I do know that I am moving out. He could come here."

"No. It's fine. We can handle it."

"It's not a good idea."

"Come on! Where else can you go?"

Jayson shakes his head. "I'm not sure but I'll figure it out."

"No you won't. Pledges for fraternity's are up. Apartments here are extremely expensive. This is the best deal you will get, and you know that." I protest stubbornly.

"You just want me to pay half! You do know you can find other people who will pay too right?" He asks.

"Yeah, I know, I just want you to stay." I say, standing up to look out the window.