Chapter 17- Almost Time!

(Kristen's P.O.V)

"Carlos you have to calm down!" I reached for his arm but he immediatly tugged away. He drove all the way over here at almost 80 miles per hour. He's furious. I understand his anger. Him being so protective over me, but this is a little too much. He won't even talk to James who's his best friend. He quickly ran up the steps and a couple of seconds later I heard the door slam. James came behind me, closing the front door as he stepped in.

"Don't worry. It'll pass. Carlos isn't one of the people who stay mad for long." He said. His voice was calm and reassuring.

"James please go talk to him. I don't like seeing him like this." My voice cracked with each word. James nodded and headed upstairs. There isn't much I could do. So I sat down and just waited.

(James P.O.V)

I slowly made my way up to Carlos' room. The door was locked, so I knocked softly.

"Carlos, open the door." There was no response. I knocked a little louder this time. "C'mon Carlos you're not gonna be locked in there forever." I heard him sigh through the door as he got up and walked towards it. The doorknob slowly turned and Carlos poked out from behind the door.

"What James." It sounded as if he had no emotions at all. He didnt sound sad or mad.

"Why are you mad?" I asked him as calm as I could.

"Im not mad. Its just...I dont know I just get agrivated when i see that man." He opened the door completly and allowed me in. He walked over to the side of his bed and sat. I stayed standing next to him.

"I understand dude. But don't you realize that you can frighten Kristen? She see's you as a kind guy you know? And you really like her. What if your "over protectivness" slowly drives her away. Then what are you gonna do?"

"I wouldn't drive her away James."

"But what if you do? Ease up Carlos. Watch after her, just don't over do it."

"I...I won't." He managed a small smile. I nodded and left the room. I headed down the stairs to talk to Kristen. She was sitting on the couch, her knees up to her face. I thought she was asleep, so I went up to her and tapped her shoulder a bit. She looked up right away.

"What did he say?" She said with a concerned face.

"Don't worry. He's just being his over protective self. He's like that with everyone." She let out a sigh of relief.

"So...he's fine now right? He's not mad anymore? He won't scream at us?"

"I'm not going to scream at you or James, Kristen." Carlos said as he walked down the stairs. Kristen's face instantly lighted up. It was so obvious these two had something going on. The only problem is, I was the only one that knew about Kendall. How he feels something towards Kristen as well. Im supossed to help Carlos out, but Kendall is my friend too. I can't just ignore him and help Carlos. But I can't forget about Carlos and help Kendall get to Kristen either. Great. Im caught in the middle of this whole thing.

"I told you he was fine." I said to finally break my chain of thought.

"Well thank you for being right." Kristen replied in a happy tone.

"Hey, Kristen, it's your last day being 17. I was wondering if you wanted to go anywhere. Like the park or the beach or something?" Carlos asked, Kristen shyly smiled.

"Yeah, sure. I'd love to."

"Great. Let's go." They walked to the door heading out.

Kristen stopped at the door and looked back at me. "Hey James, aren't you coming?"

"Nah, i'll just stay here and chill. Hope you guys have fun though!" I had to stay back and set everything up for the surprise party. Kendall, Lily, and Alex would be here any minute now.

"You sure? Come on I just graduated and tomorrow is my birthday!" Great. She was trying to persuade me. How could I say no? No. I needed to stay. "James."

"I'm sorry Kristen, honestly i don't really feel like going anywhere. You guys have fun ok?" She sighed.

"Ok, we'll be back soon. See ya later!" She headed out, Carlos standing behind her wait for her to go on out and close the door. He turned to me as he closed it.

"One hour!" He mouthed. I nodded. And with that they left I don't know where. I quickly reached for my phone and called Logan.

"Hello?"

"Hey Logan, where are you guys? Carlos took Kristen out so we have about an hour to set everything up."

"One hour!? That's not enough!"

"Yes it is so hurry up! We have a lot to do."

"Fine we're on our way. We'll be there in about 10 minutes."

"Can you make it 5?"

"Can you make us fly?"

"...No?"

"Then no."

"Fine just hurry up." I hung up the phone and went to get the things we had bought from the garage. Carlos had a pretty neat pool. I was thinking we should fill it up with balloons. So that's what i did. I started blowing up balloons and just throwing them in the water. I also blew some up with hellium and hung them all around the back yard. Before i knew it Logan and Kendall we're at the gate.

"Wow James you're halfway there!" Kendall said looking around.

"I haven't done anything just blow up balloons?"

"Well it's looking pretty good!"

"Thanks but we're not done yet! Wheres Lily and Alex?"

"They're at the mall looking for presents." Logan said.

"Seems a little last minute don't you think? So what did you guys get her?" I asked them. They stayed silent. "Guys?"

"We didn't know what to get her ok!" Logan said throwing his hands up in air. "I mean what do you get a teenage girl on her 18th birthday!?"

"Shoes? Jewlery? Gift cards?" I said while using my fingers to count the ideas I had named.

"Well then James what did you get her since you seem to be an expert on teen gifts huh?"

"Shoes!"

"Of course you did." Kendall said crossing his arms across his chest.

"Well then mr. perfect what are you planning on giving her!?" I asked him in my defence.

"You guys will see it when I give it to her!"

"Wait you actually got her something?" Logan asked, kind of confused I must add.

"Of course I did. You cant go to someones birthday party without a present. That would be rude LOGAN."

Logan looked around now knowing what to say or do in his defence. "Im sorry ok!? Lily said she'd buy her two presents and let me write my name on one! Then i'll pay her back later."

"Oh poor Lily, the things she does for you and its all for love." Kendall said mockingly as he walked towards the decorations and started hanging up lights.

"Shes not my girlfriend!"

"Not yet." I added. Kendall and I started laughing as Logan pouted. We kept hanging up the lights and more decorations. Its almost 6, they'd be back in about half an hour.