Chapter 21- No Need To Say Sorry

Im probably one of the craziest people anyone has ever met. 2:39 am. In the middle of the night. No cars, no people. Just a random girl on her friends bike. I felt fear inside me. It was dark and I was alone. Yet I was determined to find out what my dad was doing. What exactly was I going to do, I dont know. I couldnt just go barge in my house and ask my dad all the questions in my head. What if he went off on my again?

I reached my house in about 15 minutes, but there was no car in the drive way. And all the lights were off. Where was he? I leaned the bike against the wall and looked into the window. Empty. Something isnt right. Nothing is. I could go inside and check for myself, but I was afraid. Instead I got on the bike and headed back to Carlos' house. Hopefully he hasnt noticed Im not there.

I still had questions running all over my head. In that moment, I felt like looking for Kendall. I dont understand. Can my feelings for Carlos just go away and be replaced by Kendall? In just one day? Thats not possible, and yet I knew I cant control my feelings. When I got to Carlos' house I put the bike exactly where I got it from, and climbed up the tree back up to my window. It was 3:17 a.m. I had to sleep. Maybe when I wake up my mind will function normally again.

---------------------

I woke up to a clicking noise. I rubbed my eyes and looked at the clock on the side table. 7:56 am. Whos even up at this time on a Saturday? I got up and opened the door. No one? I could hear Carlos snoring softly from his room. It couldnt have been him. Then I heard it again. It was coming from my room. From the window. When I opened it I saw Kendall standing at the bottom picking up little pebbles. I couldnt help but smile.

"Kendall!" I called out to him in a whispering-scream. He quickly turned his head up to me. "What are you doing!?"

"Trying to get your attention!"

"I have a phone you know. And theres a door right there." I laughed as I pointed to the direction the front door was.

"Yeah but thats boring." He smiled.

"Hold on i'll be right down."

I quickly changed into some other clothes that werent the jeans and t-shirt I fell asleep in and ran downstairs.

"Hey." I said as I walked up to him.

"Hey."

"So what brings you here so early in the morning?"

"I, wanted to apologize."

"What for?"

"For last night. I dont know how it happened I swear I didnt mean to but it just happened-"

"Dont worry Kendall. Its fine. It just happened I understand. But you dont have to apologize."

He sighed as if he was relieved. "Well, besides that, I forgot to give you your present." He pulled a box out of his sweater pocket. Was it just me, or did this feel like de-ja-vu? He gave me the box, nicely wrapped in purple paper and a little bow. I almost felt bad having to rip the paper, but I unwrapped it carefully. When I opened the box, inside was a bracelet. Just a plain bracelet. He reached in his pocket again and pulled out a little charm, shaped like a present.

"Its a charm bracelet. And this is your first charm. Each charm has to be special, and since last night was your special night, I got you a present charm."

"Thank you Kendall. I love this." I carefully put the charm on the bracelet and put it on my wrist.

"Well Im gald you do. Sorry I didnt give it to you, it just slipped out of my mind."

"Its ok. Better late than never right?"

He laughed at my responce. "Yeah. Well, I'll see you later?"

"Of course." We gave eachother a quick hug and he left. I watched him walk until he was no longer in my sight. Theres something about him thats slowly getting to me.

"Hey Kristen!"

"Hi James. Youre up early."

"Could say the same about you."

"I was just-"

"I know I saw him leave."

"Is this bad?"

"What?"

"That Im falling for Kendall and Carlos at the same time?"

"Well..I dont know. The mind wants what the mind thinks, but the heart wants what the heart feels."

His comment made me think. "That was really deep."

"I know. But think about it. Its probably the answer to your question. Do you want to come over? I have some coffee."

"No its ok. Im going to make breakfast. Come over in about an hour if you want to join."

"Great! Remember, I like chocolate chip pancakes." With that he walked back inside his house. I went back inside and sat on the couch. James' words went through my mind over and over again.

'The mind wants what the mind thinks, but the heart wants what the heart feels.'