Chapter 28- Pasts

My body was imobilized. My mom. In a picture with Carlos's mom. I couldnt breathe. I felt a heavy weight over my chest that prevented the air from reaching my lungs. I blinked my eyes a couple of times, hoping I was just halloucinating, but no. My mom was still there. Carlos's mom turned the page, making me snap back into the real world. I could still feel my heart pounding heavily in my chest. I want to run. Scream. Ask so many questions.

"This is me and my first car. A red  1987 Thunderbird." She said with a small chuckle. I couldnt hold this in anymore. I got up. 

"I have to use the restroom." I said. Then marched my way to the room I believed was the bathroom. Luckily I was right. I locked the door and leaned against the it. I was so confused. So shocked. I've only seen about two pictures of my mom in my house, and my dad has them in his room, which I hardly go into. My legs felt weak. Giving up, I slid down along side the door, sobbing along the way. I might not have a lot of memories of my mom, but I could never forget her face. Her golden brown eyes, chocolate brown hair, fair skin. Her kind smile.

There's a soft knock on the door. My sobbing has calmed a bit, but the tears still run down my cheeks.

"Kristen? You OK?" Carlos's voice always calms me down.

"Yeah," I manage to say between sniffles. "I'll be right out."

"Are...Are you crying?" His voice sounds worried. "Open the door!"

I don't hesitate. I'd rather open the door than let him kick it down. He steps inside and wraps me in his arms. My head leans on his shoulder, and my sobbing gets louder.

"What's wrong?" He strokes my hair gently.

"I don't know." My voice is thick with sadness. I don't understand anything right now. "Your mom.."

"What about her?" Carlos pulls me back enough to look me straight in the eyes.

"She knew my mom. That picture she showed me, her friend was my mom."

"That's not possible. You said you've lived in LA your whole life. My parents have always lived here."

"I dont know, but that was my mom and I want to know how that's possible."

"Come on, we'll talk with my mom." He helps me up and helps me walk back to the living room.

Carlos sets me down on the couch. His parents look at me with a blank stare, as if I'm some crazy person. But my sobs and tears continue. Carlos's hand rests on my shoulder.

"Kristen," his mom begins, "What's wrong?" I take a deep breath and control myself.

"The lady in the picture you showed me. Her name was Marissa?"

"My friend? Yes her name's Marissa. Why?"

I take another deep breath. It shutters on its way out.

"And how long ago was that photo taken?"

"About 25 years ago. Sweetie, I don't understand. What's going on? Why are you asking so many questions and why are you so upset?"

"Marissa, was her last name Martinez?"

"Yes."

"Mom," Carlos continues, noticing my speechlessness. "That's Kristen's mom. She died about ten years ago. I thought you said you've never been out of Florida?"

"We havent," Carlos's dad says. "We've lived here all our lives. We were born here, we met here, went to school together, got married, everything here in this town."

Carlos turns to me. "Then your mom must've been from Florida, or visited sometime."

"She lived here her whole life also." His mom explains. "We grew up together. We were neighbors. That was, until..." she stops.

"Until what?" Me body tenses with anticipation.

She sighs. "She had a tough life here. Its a long story-"

"Ive got time." I didnt mean to sound to strict, but the words leave my mouth before my mind processes anything.

She gives me a small smile. "Me and Marissa were the same age. Like I said, we were neighbors, our parents were friends. We grew up together, like sisters." I take a quick glance at Carlos's dad. He looks as though he's thinking. Really hard. "When we graduated college, we split for about four years. And then we moved back here with our parents, but they passed away a couple years later. I met Carlos, fell in love, got married. And Marissa met this guy also. I forgot his name..."

"Jeff," I say. "His name was Jeff."

"That's right, Jeff. Well, Jeff was a nice guy. He seemed to really love Marissa. And then they got married. But he changed after a while. We would hear them argue a lot every night."

"Then what happened?" I sit on the edge of the couch, my nails digging into the fabric.

"I had my first child, Carlos." Carlos and his dad lift their heads up, paying more close attention to her words.

"First child?" I ask in confusion. Carlos looks just as confused as I am, his eyes searching around the room for an answer. Carlos's dad puts a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you sure about this?" He asks.

"Yes," she answers, her voice shaking. "Its been long enough.

Carlos bolts to his feet. "What do you mean its been long enough? What are you hiding from me?"

"Carlos," His mom begins. Her voice is faint, so low I can hardly hear her. Tears are begining to gather in her eyes. "You werent the only child I had. When you were two years old, I had a baby girl, here in the house I grew up in. But...she was weak. She died a couple minutes after she was born." She faces the ground. Carlos sits down and burries his hands into his face. "Marissa had a baby the same day as me in the house next door, but I never saw her after that day. That was the last time I saw her."

"That's not...entirely true..." This time, Carlos's dad stands. "Our daughter was perfectly fine. I helped deliver her. I went outside to the living room to call a doctor to check on you and the baby, but when I went to her room, she was dead. Guess she wasnt that healthy after all."

I feel like the only one making sense out of this. My mom was never seen in Florida after I was born- she ran away with my dad and me. A healthy baby that died out of the blue. My dad's anger control. He was crazy from the start. A person who took his anger towards other people. He loved my mom, he didnt want her to suffer. But he couldnt help it. What if...

"Im your daughter." The words come out in a whisper. Blending with a soft gust of air. All eyes turn toward me. "That baby never died. That baby was me. The baby that died, was Marissa's."