Chapter 29- A New Begining

It takes me a while to process what I just said. When I look up all I see are shocked faces. Wide eyed, one sobbing, two open-mouthed. Carlos is the first to speak.

"What? Are you insane? How is that even possible?"

I try to reason with him, althought I'm pretty sure it'll turn into an arguement. "No. Im not insane. And I dont know. But it is. Just think about it for a bit it's not that big of a mystery." I turned to look at his mom and dad. Their eyes are still big, and she's still holding back tears. "Did you ever think your daughter was still alive? Or tried to investigate why Marissa and Jeff dissapeared?" My voice rises a bit.

"Marissa told me she wanted to move somewhere else after her baby was born. She never said when or why, but I never asked her. I just didnt expect it to be right after her baby was born." She says, her voice cracking with each word. I feel Carlos's arm on my shoulder.

"So..what happens now? We have to be sure of it." he asks me.

"I dont know. We have to prove it. And if I'm really the daughter you once had, then I'm going to turn my da-... Jeff in. I know he's capable of something like that."

The next thing I know, Carlos's mom has me embraced in her arms. Tight. "I hope it's you." She whispers in my ear. "I felt something special when I saw you in front of the airport. I really hope it's you." I have the sudden urge to hug her back. At that moment, I didn't care what was going around. I felt warmth inside me. I get a butterfly feeling, but not the kind when you see a cute boy walk down the street, the kind you when you know something is changing. When you get excited, nervous, overly dramatic over something.

Carlos's dad comes behind us and says, "We'll go take a DNA test tomorrow." I'm not looking, but I hear his footsteps stomping across the living room and up the stairs. Carlos might be the worst affected by all this.

I pull back from our long hug. "I have to go talk to him." They both nod. I run, well...akwardly jog behind him, considering my numb legs, and knock on his door.

"Carlos, open the door."

"No." He's stubborn. Worse than a child.

"Carlos."

"No."

Usually, I'd beg for him to open the door. But my feelingss were unstable at the moment, and I couldnt blame him for what he was feeling. I leaned my back against the door and slowly slid down against it.

"Look, Im not good with words...but I know how you feel right now."

"No you dont." I can hear him choke back on his words. Tears slowly begin forming in my eyes. Listening to a broken Carlos, that broke me.

"Carlos, we met for a reason. Maybe that reason wasnt exactly what you thought. We were ment to cross paths one day or another. I finally realize what I felt for you. Now I understand. The feeling I got when I was with you. Not because I was in love with you in a relationship type of way...but brotherly." I probably made things even more awkward than they already were. But I hear Carlos' footsteps and then the door opens, causing me to stumble back and lean on his legs. I look up at his red, already swollen eyes.

"I understand now too. It just...kinda hurts I guess." He offers me a hand. "Youre my sister. And I have to get used to it." He smiles. And before I can think I wrap my arms around him.

"Thank you for always being there." I whisper.

He silently sobs into my shoulder, as I sob back into his.