Chapter 7

As I made my way upstairs, Nichole trudged towards me. "Where were you, Anne?" She asked.

"Nichole, can you leave me alone for now?"

"I care about you, Anne, and I am here to hear you out," She said slowly."Were you with Mason?" She asked.

"What? Why does everyone think that I am with this player? You're the one who likes him while he is nothing to me." She scanned my facial expressions with wide eyes, contemplating if she should believe me or not. I opened my mouth to say something but she stopped me.

"I meant Mason, our neighbor. The one you forgot." She said slowly, moving away and heading downstairs.

"Won't you sleep over with us?'' I asked.

She turned slowly, "Anne,you don't know what you want, but you're changing."

I disregarded Nichole's comment and continued my way upstairs. My thoughts were interrupted by my neighbor, Mason. I smiled in his direction but he simply ignored me and moved away. I felt cheap for a second knowing that I am the one who wanted him.

"Mason!" I yelled but he ignored me once again."Mason!" I repeated but again he didn't answer. I rushed towards him and grabbed him by the hands, allowing my eyes to meet his. "I called you but you didn't answer." 

"Sorry, Carla, I'm messed up."

"Carla?" I asked, a tear escaping my eye. I let go of his hand and moved.

What is this? What is happening with me today? Mason is in love with someone else. The other Mason shouted at me and called me a 'slut' and I don't even know what is wrong with mom, Noura, or Nichole. What's wrong? I really am so messed up.

"Yes?" I said as I answered Mason's call.

"Ashley, I don't know why I called you, but I felt like I wanted to talk to you."

"Me too." I cried.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I don't even know. This is the first time I have ever cried. I don't know what's wrong with everyone." I cried even harder.

I felt better when I talked to Mason. He makes me happier, feel safer and forget about everything else around me. We've been talking for about a month now but this feeling only happens when I am acting as Ashley, I feel as if I have power over the whole world. He is the only one that makes me forget about my only love. I have tried and tried, but I have always failed to feel safe with anyone other than Mason. I have even stopped dreaming about Mason. I am more confident now, and I feel so good about myself. Before this, when I slept, I would wake up at least two or three times at night, being scared at nothing. But, from the time I began talking to Mason on phone, I have stopped doing this and I have begun to sleep very well.

''I am so messed up." I said under my breath, throwing my face into the soft pillow.

*___________________________________________________________________________*

"What are you planning to do today?"

"I have work, Ashley," He replied slowly.

"Fine. I will go have my breakfast at Costa." I lied.

"What? No!" He shouted.

"Why not?"I asked.

"Ashley, I said it. No, and don't ever expect any permission to go out alone again. Clear?" He shouted.

"I'm not a kid. I can take care of myself."

"I'm not going to repeat what I said, and if you want to go out, you can, but after that, delete my number and me as a whole from your life.'