3

Areum's POV

After school I headed back home hoping that dad won't be in the state I had left him the previous night.

I slowly opened the front door and walked inside. It was terribly silent.

"Dad? Are you home?" I asked but there was no answer.

I had a bad feeling. Something kept telling me to go check his bedroom and I opened the door while feeling a lump form in my throat. A weird smell filled the room and made my stomach turn.

As soon as I entered my heart dropped. He was lying on the floor with his head leaning on the bed. Red stains of blood covered his hand and a pocket knife was placed next to him.

"Da- Dad?" my voice came out as I approached his unconscious body.

I fell on my knees next to him.

"Dad?" I screamed. "What have you done?" I whispered and flinched when his hand moved.

I wiped my tears and got right to the phone. I had to be composed at a critical moment like that.

I dialed grandma's number.

"Please, pick it up" I said while waiting for her to answer. "Granny, help me! Dad... he hurt himself and I... I don't know what to do" I tried to explain as calm as possible.

"Puffy-face is it you? Granny isn't here."

"Please help me... I really don't know what to do. There's so much blood"

"Give me the address" Suga said from the other side of the line.

I followed his instructions and tied a piece of cloth around dad's arm as tightly as I could. I sat close to him waiting for the ambulance to come.

At the hospital I cried silently alone while dad was in the emergency room.

"Puffy-face" I heard a voice and instantly knew who it was. "Here, drink this" Suga said and held my hand placing a bottle of juice in my palm.

"Thanks..." I didn't have the strength to fight with him that moment so I just let him sit next to me.

"How is he?" he asked.

"I don't know yet" I said in a low voice.

I kept crying for a while with that boy by my side. His presence helped me in a way.

"Are you Mr Song's family?" a doctor asked me.

I felt numb that moment and Suga realized it so he spoke before me.

"Yes. How is he?"

"He lost a lot of blood but thankfully he was brought here in time." the doctor explained. "He's sleeping now but you'll be able to see him soon"

"Thank you" I said and sighed in relief.

I sat back and smiled thinking it all turned out well. Suga sat next to me again.

"You don't have to stay with me" I said. "I'm sure you have better things to do"

"Well that's true." he said earning a glare from me. "But... I know how it feels to wait alone at the hospital..." he looked very uncomfortable, his whole body seemed to be tense.

"What happened?" I asked being curious.

I could see his expression changing. He looked like a different person. His eyes looked empty and his face became even more pale.

"It's none of your business" he said and went silent.

Not a single word escaped his mouth for the rest of the night.

'He must have bad memories from hospitals' I thought and despite my mind racing I felt myself drifting off to sleep.

"Hey puffy-face" I slowly opened my eyes. "You're drooling"

I looked up and realized I had fallen asleep with my head resting on his shoulder. No wonder my neck hurt so much.

"Oh sorry. I didn't do that on pur-"

"Nevermind" he shrugged. "Just wipe of your saliva" he said and laughed at me.

"Yah!" I shouted but quickly covered my mouth remembering we were still at the hospital.

"Your dad's awake" he said and smiled before leaving.

It took just a couple of days for dad to get back on track. I tried to take care of him and stayed at home most of the time in case he needed me but he kept rejecting my help. Things were still the same between us. The distance was only getting bigger. I really can't think of what to do anymore.

I went at the rooftop to have lunch today. I figured that if I breathed the fresh air while looking at the clear sky, my mind would be at ease at least for a little time.

However when I opened the door I saw someone was already there. I started walking away when he called me.

"Areum? Is that you?" I turned to see Hoseok calling me. "You can stay if you want"

He was the boy at the rooftop.

I hesitantly approached him and sat next to him leaving a fair amount of distance between us. It felt a little awkward being the two of us only.

"You can sit closer. I won't bite." he said and smiled.

It wasn't his usual smile though. The fake one he showed to everyone else. It was a different kind of smile, I could feel its sadness. He unwillingly let his guard down in front of me.

"You're not okay either, huh?" I asked following his eyes that were gazing up at the sky.

"You can tell?" he asked. "It's been a while that I haven't been okay. I'm still trying to deal with it" he said and I decided not to ask anything.

So even the top student has problems.

It must have been a huge step for him to say that to me. I didn't want to make him feel pressured, he'd tell me when and if he felt ready.

"I... I'm here if you need someone to talk to" I said and he looked at me for a moment before resting his head on my lap.

"Just let's stay like this for a while" he said as he closed his eyes letting a single tear stream down his face.

What could have hurt him this bad?