► iii

C H A P T E R   T H R E E
"And I guess I'm just a mess and maybe I'm just lonely or just bitter but I know my heads a storm and my chest is empty."

THE BEEPING WAS BEGINNING TO SLOW and everyone in the room went silent. They didn't move, just looked down at the slumbering girl. She looked so peaceful and young, scars and open gashes that told tales about how she was simply too young to fight such a deadly war. It was going slower and slower with each passing second.

Beep...........beep.........beep..........beep......

And then that dreaded, high pitched death screech surrounded them.

Mataya shot up from the bed quickly, her forehead glistening with sweat as she gasped for air. She looked around, her eyebrow furrowed together in confusion as she did. The all too familiar room made her feel sick to her stomach and she pushed the blankets off of her.

A foul smell was present in the room and she furrowed her eyebrows, crawling forward to look at the ground, suddenly gasping with fear and backing up away from the edge of the bed, pulling her knees to her chest as she back away up against the pillows as far as she could go. Her arms wrapped around her legs protectively and she looked around, her heart pounding in her chest with fear.

"This is a dream." Mataya mumbled. "You are dreaming, you are dreaming, you are dreaming."

Mataya's eyes continued to dart back and forth, the image of blood and dead body fresh in her mind as she did so. She rocked back and forth, her heart still pounding at a quick and fast pace.

"No no no no no, this isn't real." Mataya continued to tell hers. "This isn't real."

Tears began to fall and she pulled her arms away from her legs and stood up quickly, looking down at the ground again. She screamed, loud and jumped off the bed, running over to the large metal door. She pounded on it. Pounded and pounded and pounded until her fists were red and her knuckles were bloody.

She pleaded, cried, screamed - just wanting somebody, anybody to open the door and relieve her from this deadly room that caused her so much pain and now grief. She turned around, her back pressed tightly to the door as she looked at the ground.

The blood covered ground with her dad's dead body right smack in the middle. She placed her hand on her stomach as she doubled to the side and puked, her stomach feeling queasy. After she was done she stood up, her back against the door again and her hand on her stomach as she looked at the scene. 

"This isn't real." Mataya whispered again, her eyes shutting as she tried to pinch herself. She opened her eyes and was still standing against the wall, the body in the middle of the room. "No..."

Her eyes welled with tears again and she felt like breaking things. "No!" She screamed, rushing towards the bed stand and grabbing onto the lamp, pulling it to the ground and creating a loud shattering sound as she did so.

That day, Mataya threw everything that was breakable to the ground, glass shattered and littered everywhere as she screamed and yelled until she had no choice but to pass out.

On the second day, she woke up with a startle, shooting up from her position on the ground. A slot on the bottom of the door had opened and closed with a slam, a tray of food mounted on top with two water bottles.

She felt a relief when she noticed no broken glass, but was quickly disappointed when she realized that she was sat in the only place that was glass free.