►xi

C H A P T E R  E L E V E N 
❝I met a girl. She was the blue of my head but now that she is gone
I don't know how to feel anymore.❞

Arctic - Sleeping At Last
(Listen while reading for the best experience please.) 

ALL HE COULD FEEL WAS AN IMPENDING DOOM OF SADNESS as they rushed through the hallways of WICKED. He wanted nothing more to get out of there, to escape the four walls that created havoc and terror in the humble abode of his mind. He needed to save them all, because deep down he knew - it was his destiny. But Thomas also knew that he needed to know that she was safe and sound and wasn't being harmed. 

But as the ground rumbled and the walls shook from within the underlying fear that she was safe was no longer present, and it was like something was set off inside of him and he knew. He just knew. He could feel the light from within begin to dim as the seconds ticked by without her heart beating by his side. 

Thomas never wanted to imagine life without her bright blue eyes and her radiating smile. He never wanted to think about what it would be like to not hold her in his arms, even if that time had been short due to the way of the world. Thomas truly believed that he had met his soulmate in the amits of the terror. 

Such a silly thing, to find love in a hopeless place. 

At night, he would toss and turn and think of every possibility of escaping to better places where he could hold her and love her and creating a family with her. But now, it wasn't possible and as he ran through the crumbling interior of WICKED, the place he had longed to be destroyed - he no longer could think of victory. 

He could only think of her and the sadness that came along with it. 

Thomas could only think of death. 

He turned down a corridor that was unfamiliar and he could hear the faint calls mixed in with the rumbling of the building and the sheer screams of the alarms but he couldn't bother to listen to the protests when his heels burned with rage and determination and his heart was beating with sadness. 

He pushed and pushed and heaved with a dry throat as he went past the limits. He pushed himself farther and harder than he ever did in the maze as his nails digged into the palm of his hand and he turned another corridor, losing his footing as he did so, tumbling to the ground and smashing against the concrete wall. 

His head his the wall with a hard impact and he could feel the pounding headache begin to form as his eyes shut momentarily and then opened to a figure above. It was similar to Mataya's and he rubbed where his head had came in contact with the wall as he blinked his eyes once then twice. 

The figure was no longer there and he let out a long, shaky breath before he rolled onto his stomach and used the strength of his arms to push off the ground. His legs wobbled and he leaned against the rough wall as he steadied himself. 

The boy hadn't had a simple clue as to where he was going, but he had a feeling he was going in the right direction. With a heavy heart and a feeling of dread vanishing over him, he continued the journey to wherever he felt was right and that was Mataya. 

The girl he dreamed of starting a life with. The only thing he could see past all the blood shed and tears and inhumane void and vacant bodies roaming across the earth. 

A life. A life he needed. A life he wanted. 

Maybe the scorch had been a blessing in disguise, meeting such a young, beautiful girl with hopes and dreams and a heart made of gold. Maybe, just maybe, not remembering his past life was a slate clean to start fresh. Start fresh with her.