►xii

C H A P T E R  T W E L V E
"It can't be time, I won't say goodbye."

The water works were enough to make Mataya frustrated. She was sick and tired of constantly crying. She was tired of having puffy, red eyes and sobbing uncontrollably. She was tired of having this void feeling of never ending torture. She was sick and tired of everything. 

She clenched her jaw, sucking in a deep breath as she tried to stop the tears. Tears showed weakness. 

Fists balled and a heaving chest, she whipped around and brought her fist to the concrete wall behind her with force. She pulled it back as soon as she heard the bone crack and the earth splintering pain erupt inside of her. She choked back a sob as she leaned her body against the cold wall. 

She focused on the pain. 

Not the heart wrenching pain of knowing that the man you love was withering away beneath them. Not the heart wrenching pain of knowing that your best friends brain was being gnawed away at a virus that will eventually take his life. 

She focused on the raw throbbing pain in her hand and she calmed down enough to stop the tears. She slowly unbawled her fist, hissing at the hot pain shooting down her knuckled and into her palm and wrist as she did so. 

Mataya held her head high, wiping away her tear stained cheeks with her other bloody hand from holding her knife too tight and made her way back into the weapons room with a hard look of nothing. 

She couldn't let Thomas see how much he had hurt her, with his venom dripping words and his cold stare. It sliced through her with a blink of those big brown eyes and she was broken all over again. Because her love was so strong for someone who was simply a mere spec in this big, terrifying world.

I knew a boy once, who fought like he could cleanse the world with the blood on his knuckles. (He forgot there's only 5 litres of blood in a human body.)

She stepped into the room and Minho was by her side with a look of worry etched across his young skin. She blocked out his words as he reached forward and touched her battered hand with care. Her eyes only stayed on him across the room. 

The fake smile present as he picked up a Launcher from the wall and continued his conversation with Brenda. The way his eyes twinkled, despite the terror around him sent a sharp pain through her chest. Those eyes used to shine when he looked at her, but now they are just burnt out stars - forgotten about and left behind.

I knew a boy once, who smiled like he could hold the stars in his teeth. (He forgot how much they burn and burn and die.) 

She turned away when he looked behind him, her attention suddenly back on Minho as he inspected the hand with love and care. With a nod of her head and a tight smile she smiled as best as she could and pulled her hand away, embracing the boy. 

Minho was taken back for a second, before hugging her back with a tight but short squeeze - unspoken words between two friends. A token of her appreciation, that he was there when he wasn't. That he cared about her when he was too busy to. 

I knew a boy once, who kissed like he could suck the venom out of me veins with the air in my lungs. (He forgot I'd run out of air long before I ran out of blood.) 

Mataya turned her attention to Newt as he strolled into the room and she could feel the air thin around her as she tried to grasp for a breath of fresh air. Nothing had come as he looked at them with a solemn expression.