►viii

C H A P T E R  E I G H T 
"Besides, the world isn't split into good people and death eaters. We've got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on."

With chaos emitted around Mataya, she wasn't given a second moment to herself. Quickly lodged into the war between good and evil, light and dark. Electricity sizzling around her, guards dropping like flies to the ground to compulsively twitch around in horrific pain. 

Her eyes flickered to the ground and she watched the tiny metallic bug scurry away, it's big beating eyes fixated on the chaos of the kids as they threw punches left and right at the approaching guards. She could hear Minho curse from in front of her, muttering about the damn things as she bent down to get a better look at the thing. 

The long silver body was creepy enough for her to scowl a bit. Of course they would have to modify every living thing on this planet; including creepy crawlers. With a roll of her eyes, she straightened up, and gave the bug a large sarcastic smile and a show of her middle finger before she lifted her foot and stomped down on it. 

Nothing squirted out like a regular bug, only wires and some electricity shooting out around it as it squished to the ground in a large crunch. The W.C.K.E.D stamp was now covered with her dirt from her shoes and she almost felt a big of satisfaction but it was quickly replaced with her cold exterior she now sported. 

"How about instead of taking her hostage we shoot her." Mataya said finally, her eyes lifting from the ground to take in the surroundings of the other Gladers and Brenda. Her gaze fixated on her short hair and she only narrowed her eyes before she turned her attention back to the others. "Leave them a message that we aren't just some kids in their sick little game anymore." 

Everyone was a bit taken back at that comment as all heads turned towards the angered girl. The guard's eyes widened as she eyed the black gun tightly grasped in her hand, lifting and pointing straight at her head. 

Thomas took a step forward but Mataya only shot daggers his way. "We aren't killing anyone Mataya." 

"Why not?" Her voice was loud and forceful as she spoke. Her jaw clenching in anger as she placed her other hand on the gun and turned her attention back to the woman. "They did it to all of us. My dad, my Mom, Clarke.....Chuck." 

She could see Thomas flinch from the corner of her eye but she ignored it. There was no time to spare everyone's feelings. 

"We will be playing their game if we kill her." Newt spoke up, his eyes set on the gun. "Whether we want to send a message or not, we are the game Mataya." 

"Then why can't we just do it?" She questioned, her head tilting. "If we are the game then let's take charge. Let's change the rules." 

Minho groaned loudly and stepped forward, grabbing the gun from her grasp quickly making Mataya blink a few times and lung towards him. "Give it back Minho!" 

His eyes only rolled and he held it above her head, "I don't know what happened when the Swipe was removed to change you into some psychotic slint head but we don't have time for this. You can protest when we get the hell out of here." 

Mataya only stepped back and glared, and Minho sighed, bending down to grab a dagger from the guards pocket. "Here, take the dagger. You can do little to no damage with this." 

Her arms crossed over her chest and she growled a bit as she grabbed the knife from his "I can slit your throat." 

The rest of the Gladers ignored the snide, threatening comment and picked up the guard without another word, taking her hostage and making their way down the hallway quietly. Mataya stayed behind, her arms across her chest as she snarled.

A part of her nagged at the way she was acting. Like a little child who wasn't allowed another cookie, she stomped her feet and occasionally looked behind her, knowing that if she didn't, they could easily get caught or worse, shot with the gun of lightning. 

Thomas glanced behind him, his forehead creased together in worry and confusion before he turned back around and focused on the task at hand; getting out of WICKED. 

Her heart clenched not in sadness, but in anger as she remembered that they were only stuck in this horrible situation because of Thomas himself. Everything she has done, everything every one of them have done is because of Thomas's reckless decisions. His reckless mistakes. His sudden feeling of wanting to empower and take down WICKED for what reason? Because they simply want to find a cure for the human race? 

She hated herself for backing WICKED up, but she couldn't blame them for starting off with good intentions. They may have gotten off track, given the cure to the wrong hands and created something that could have single handedly swiped the human race but Mataya didn't blame them for wanting to make a change. 

How did that make Thomas any different? 

How did that make Mataya any different? Giving into the need and blood lust. Wanting to get back at them. Wanting so desperately to swipe that knife across her neck and watch the world fade around her. Mataya had wanted nothing more than to slip into the oblivion of darkness. Mataya Paige wanted to die, to escape this tretorous world. 

She wanted WICKED to win. 

With a straight face, she clenched, the stiff feeling of her jaw aching and crying for mercy as she dropped her hands to her side and clenched the knife for life. The stinging sensation dulled the ache in her head as her eyes were dead set ahead. For a moment, she flickered her gaze to the ground to see the blood drip from the blade. The blade had made a cozy home between her flesh as she continued to clench with fear. 

Fear that if she let go, the world would crumble around her. The pain would be so unbearable that she could no longer go on in life. Because no matter how much she wanted to die, she didn't want to say goodbye. 

The group had stopped and Mataya was taken back a bit when she collided into Brenda's back. The short haired brunette turned to get a glance at the girl before Mataya's eyes narrowed into slits and she was quick to turn, not wanting to anger the girl more. 

She had more than every right to be angered with the traitor. She had more than every right to want to hurt Brenda and Jorge for making her feel like she could trust them. Mataya had called them family. They had been her family. But now, she had no one left. 

She didn't have her parents or her brother. She didn't have her aunt. She didn't have Thomas, Newt or Minho. It was just Mataya, fighting against the void. 

"Guard lady, you try anything or run away, I guarantee one of us will get you." Minho said. 

The lady nodded, her eyes scanning over the group of kids. 

Mataya was quick to cut in, "Correction, you can guarantee that I'll kill you." 

Minho only rolled his eyes and nodded towards Thomas, "Thomas, you could off." 

Mataya watched with a careful eye as the woman pulled out her key card but said nothing. 

"One," Thomas began. "Two." 

Before Thomas or Mataya could give himself time to prepare, they were surrounded with darkness and an earth shattering alarm blared around them. 

- - - 

honestly, this chapter is all over the place.... i haven't edited it, or even read it in like a week since i wrote half of it and i'm too lazy too so if i repeated myself or it makes no sense at all just ignored it because im trash, this book is trash and my whole life is trash