►xx

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y
"When the fire in your soul turns to rage, that's when you realize how the ugliness of life has distorted you."

"WHAT IS Brenda saying that's so important that she had to tell him this exact moment?" Mataya grumbled. "And make us leave? What you say to one of us, you must say to all of us. Jeez." Her arms crossed over her chest as she pouted a bit. 

Minho's eyes rolled, "Probably confessing her love for him before we all die." He joked, a small chuckle escaping his chapped lips. 

"Ha ha, very funny Minho." She said dryly, her eyes narrowing. Wouldn't doubt it though. If she keeps yapping her mouth we will be caught in know time." 

Minho didn't reply, and Mataya only frowned some more. "Okay, I'm sorry. That was pretty rude of me to say about her. I mean, I like Brenda..but I'm not gonna lie and say I don't feel the threatened by her. They have this weird, special....bond going on." 

"Mataya.." Minho whispered. "Something's going on." 

Screams began to fill the air as everyone quickly left the tiny coffee shop. Mataya couldn't help but suddenly go into full panic mode. 

"Where's Thomas?" She asked, beginning to push past people, towards the shop. "Thomas!" 

"Mataya, don't!" Minho called after her. 

Mataya didn't stop, pushing people out of the way roughly before she was abruptly stopped. Jorge's grip tightened on her arm as he tugged her to the side with force and she stumbled into the shadows. 

"Don't." He muttered, his voice stern. "There's an infected and that man in the Red Shirt isn't someone to mess with. You got me? Thomas can handle himself until we assess what's happening." 

"So we are supposed to just leave him with some sort of cop and an infected?" Mataya asked. 

"That's exactly what we are doing." 

"This way guys!" Minho called out as they continued to follow Thomas and the Red Shirt men.

Mataya stopped, her eyes lingering on a poster. 

Public Service Announcement 

!!!Stop the Spread of the Flare!!!
Help stop the spread of the Flare. Know the symptoms before you infect your neighbors and loved ones.
The Flare is the virus Flarevirus (VC321xb47), a highly contagious, manmade infectious disease that was accidentally released during the chaos of the sun flare catastrophe. The Flare causes a progressive, degenerative illness of the brain, resulting in uncontrolled movements, emotional disturbances and mental deterioration. The result has been the Flare pandemic. 

Scientists are conducting late-stage clinical trials, but there is no standard treatment for the Flare at this time. The virus is generally fatal, and can be spread through the air. 

At this time citizens must unite to prevent further spread of this pandemic. By learning how to recognize yourself and others as Viral Contagion Threats (VCTS) you will take the first step in the battle against the Flare.

*Any suspicious subjects should be reported to the authorities immediately. 

"Mataya, come on! Hurry! We don't have time to stop and day dream!" Minho yelled out from far ahead.

Mataya quickly ripped the poster down and folded it, shoving it into her pocket. Rapid gun shots erupted through the air and Mataya quickly ran to catch up to the others, praying it wasn't Thomas who was stuck in the middle.