1.

*present-time*

❇ Rachel's POV ❇

"5! 4! 3! 2! 1!" After the last count of one, fireworks shot up into the dark sky. The beautiful patterns of fireworks are reflected in my eyes, as I gazed at them.

"Happy New Year, babe." Gavin wrapped his arms around me and placed his chin comfortably on my slim shoulder.

"Happy New Year, Gav!!" I turned around to kissed Gavin on the lips like every other couples.

We looked into each other's eyes with love shining through our gazes.

"Ahh, it's been a full year since I proposed to you, Rachel!" Gavin grinned at me and my heart beat a little faster. Just a little. Not as fast as someone else's effect on me. I was both stunned and mad at myself for having those thoughts.

"Babe, what's wrong?" Gavin asked while tracing the frown that was formed on my forehead.

"I was just thinking about mum and dad." I lied with a smile. I crossed my fingers as I didn't want Gavin to see through my lie.

I have been living in Seattle, ever since I graduated from college. My parents were supportive of my decision to work here, in Seattle as a kindergarten teacher. I met Gavin four years ago. He was a prosecutor back then. He's a defence attorney for two years now.

This is how Gavin and I met.

I was walking home from the grocery store when a druggie stopped me. I felt a shiver ran down my spine. His skin was so pale. He looked like he needed a hot shower as he could not stop shaking. Huge dark circles coloured his baggy eyes.

"He-hey lady." His slurred words reached my ears and goosebumps spread across my skin.

"Let go of me!" I tried to loosen his tight grip on my wrist.

"L-let g-go of y-you?" He snorted and laughed out loud. In that split second I jerked back my hand.

The result of doing so I knocked onto someone.

*clang*

Sounds of fallen can dropped and rolled on the rough ground.

"Shit." A man in his mid twenties swore as he bent over to pick up his things.

As I stood down to help him gather his things, the druggie stopped me from doing so. He pulled me up violently and my arms felt like it was going to break.

"You a-are coming with m-me!"

"No!" I shouted and clawed away his hands from me. The druggie yelped in pain but his hands was still on my arm. The man whom I knocked over his items finally realised what was going on.

"Dude. Leave this lady here, alone." There was a tone in his voice which screamed do not mess with me.

"W-who the hell are you? Her boyfriend?" The druggie snarled and forced me closer to him.

I took the chance to step on his feet and hit him with my elbow. The helpful guy reacted just in time to twist the druggie's arm behind his back.

"If you are smart enough, scram. This lady here can charge you with harassment. From the look of you, I can get a warrant to search your house for drugs too. I don't think you will want to blow up this small matter. Am I right?" The helpful guy politely informed the druggie.

"Who are y-you? The p-police?" The druggie visibly turned white which I thought it was impossible for a person to be that pale.

"No. I'm a friend of them though." The helpful guy let go of the druggie and reached into his pocket.