32.

❇ Rachel's POV ❇

As usual, I did a quick check around my apartment before leaving for work. Locking the door behind me, I double-checked the handle to make sure no one could get in.

I stepped into the elevator as soon as it slide open. As I was about to press on the 'close' button, I heard someone shouted, "Wait for me!"

Instinctively, my finger moved over to the 'open' button and press on it. After realising that 'someone' was the selfish neighbour who purposely chose not to stop the elevator door from closing when I was running late on my first day of work. Honestly, I was tempted to do the same thing to her. But, I decided to be the bigger person and wait for her.

My neighbour practically ran into the elevator and appeared to be somewhat surprised when her gaze landed on me.

"Thank you," my neighbour said in a bored tone, as if she was forced to do it.

I held back an eyeroll and ignored the growing annoyance for my neighbour. I had no idea what did I do to deserve such treatment from her. She'd been like that ever since I moved here. I wasn't sure if she was naturally unfriendly or have taken an instant dislike to me. The elevator dinged as it reached the lobby and my neighbour quickly walked out.

"Fine, dislike me all you want," I muttered under my breath.

Early in morning the artistic golden sun got up like a baby and started painting the dark black sky into a bright blue sky. The bright looking milky clouds got up from sleep and started travelling around the sky visiting the wonderful environment.

Every time I walked past the shops along the way to the bus stop, I would greet the owners with a smile. This habit started as soon as I moved here. They welcomed me warmly and have always treated me with kindness. I'm really grateful for them, as it made adapting to this new environment much easier.

The morning traffic was lighter than usual, which resulted in me arriving at my workplace slightly earlier.

The building's security guard and I exchanged nods as I entered the buidling. Since I was early, there wasn't much people waiting for the lift.

"Good morning, Rachel."

"Good morning, Mrs Wright," I said with a smile.

"Have you had your breakfast?" Mrs Wright asked which earned a nod from me.

"Well I haven't and there's something I need to discuss with you, so how about I buy you a coffee?"

Before I could answer Mrs Wright, the elevator door slide open and both of us stepped inside. I pressed on the button that would bring us to level 5 where Beany Business is located. It is the only café that's open right now.

The moment we entered the café we were greeted by the bitter, yet invitingly warm smell of coffee. The usual gentle murmur of voices could be heard above the harsh churning sound of the coffee machine as it struggled to produce the hot steaming liquid beloved of the customers.

The café was softly lit and only a handful of the square tables with glass tops were occupied. Christmas music was playing from speakers hidden in the walls and ceiling. Small vases of yellow carnation flowers were placed on each table. Mrs Wright went over to the counter and order her breakfast while I picked out a table next to a large window.

"Hey, I forgot to ask what coffee you want, so I ordered you a cuppacino. You okay with it?" Mrs Wright questioned as she returned with a tray of tuna sandwich and 2 cups of cuppacino.

"Yeap, I'm fine with anything."

"So, I'm sure you've heard that Mr. Alsace from Accounting Department is planning to retire by the end of January," Mrs Wright said and started to munch into her sandwich.