28.

❇ Rachel's POV ❇

"Hi Ms Wren, is it possible to reschedule the lunch meeting on Wednesday to Friday?" I asked as the phone was cradled against my shoulder.

Ms Wren didn't answer me immediately, but I heard faint clicking sounds of the keyboard.

While waiting for a response, I scribbled some reminders down on my notepad. Katie, who was sitting at the desk opposite of mine, waved her hands to get my attention. I pointed at the phone and raised a hand as a signal for Katie to wait.

"Ms Williams?"

"Yeah, I'm here."

"Mr Denton needs to attend a conference on Friday. Is Thursday convenient for Mrs Wright?"

I have already memorised Mrs Wright's schedule for this week. "Mrs Wright has a board meeting straight after lunch on Thursday.." I trailed off as Katie placed a piece of paper in front of me.

"Oh wait, I was just informed that the board meeting is postponed. So Thursday is fine."

"Okay great. Goodbye."

I hadn't have the chance to say my goodbye when Ms Wren hung up the call. Geez. What's the rush?

"Thanks Katie. You wanted to tell me about that?" I questioned and did some editing to Mrs Wright's schedule.

"Not exactly, the front desk told me you have a visitor."

I glanced up from the computer screen to meet Katie's cool blue eyes. My fingers stopped typing instantly as I focused my attention on Katie.

"Who?"

"I'm also curious, tell me who that is when you come back okay?" Katie chuckled in amusement.

"Oh right," I let out a sheepish laugh and quickly saved the Microsoft Excel sheet before making my way to the front desk.

I tapped my staff identification card to unlock the glass door. Amelia our receptionist was talking to someone on the phone when she saw me. 'Over there' Amelia mouthed and pointed to someone sitting on the black leather sofa. I smiled and gave her an okay sign.

"May I know who's looking for me?" I directed that question to the person who was facing his back to me. At the sound of my voice, that person turned around with a sad smile.

"Gavin," I whispered, feeling my own breath hitch in my throat.

Hot tears were threatening to spill from my eyes. I blinked to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me. I covered my face as I couldn't hold in the tears anymore and started sobbing.

I could feel Gavin's arms wrapped around my shaking shoulders. Gavin patted my back lightly, and a soft sigh escaped his lips. Red lights were flashing in my brain, as it screamed the fact that we were hugging in front of my workplace.

In an instant, I pushed Gavin away from me, darted to the reception desk and took some tissues. I wiped off my tears and cleared my throat before telling Amelia that I would be back soon.

"Let's find somewhere more private," I told Gavin and deliberately avoided any eye contact.

I pressed on the up button to call for the elevator. My arms were folded across my chest and I could feel Gavin's gaze behind me. A soft ding was heard before the elevator door slide open. The both of us stepped in it silently.

When the elevator stopped at the top level, I took the lead to a bench that was placed there since I worked here. Sometimes when I was overwhelmed with the amount of work, I would come up here to clear my head.