11.

⭐ Zachary's POV ⭐

My hands gave the steering wheel a right turn right after exiting the car park. This was our first lunch together after the incident last week.

I was the first one to break the ice. At first, she did not pick up my call. Eva claimed that she was too busy to answer any calls. Her reason was not very convincing though. She could text me if there was no time to make a call.

There was an awkwardness in our conversation. We ended the call within five minutes. After that, neither of us called each other.

I had been thinking of what to say to Eva. It would not do us any good if we do not rectify the problem. Obviously, we both had different views when it comes to children.

I was too deep into my thoughts that I did not notice the light turned green. The drivers behind me started to honk at me. I quickly drove the car away and effectively stopped the loud noises.

A tall black building with glass windows appeared in my line of sight. I could easily locate the car park after coming here countless of times.

I felt the car getting warmer and warmer after switching off the ignition. My legs brought me out before my body started to sweat. It was lunchtime and many people are rushing out of the building. There were a few familiar faces among the crowd of people. They were Eva's colleagues and I waved to them with a nod.

"Hi Amelia, you're not going out for lunch?" My question caught her by surprise as she did not expect me to be there.

"Oh, hey Zachary. Um, I'm just getting ready to head out. The door is unlocked, by the way." Amelia's lips lifted up into a small smile.

"Thanks."

The office was quite empty when I went in. I made my way to the stairs as Eva's office was at the second level. My gaze was diverted to the steps and that was the reason why I did not notice someone walking down the stairs.

"Ahhh!" A woman shrieked out as something hard was knocked onto my head.

Fortunately, I moved to my left just in time and witnessed a number of files rolled down the stairs. A breath of relief escaped my mouth as I wiped off imaginary sweat on my forehead. On the contrary, I heard the lady sucked in a breath.

It was when I took a good look at the person who caused the pain on my head. My mouth dropped open and I quickly snapped it shut.

Gulp.

"H-Hey Rachel. What a surprise." I have no idea why my voice came out as raspy and barely audible.

"Er, hi. Yeah, I'm really surprised." Rachel's voice was in a soft whisper as she walked past me. Rachel bent down to pick up the files. In an instant, I was at Rachel's side helping her.

"Thank you." There was an awkward smile on Rachel's face as she stood up.

Rachel's eyes widened when she saw something on my forehead. She pointed at it and quickly took a tissue out from her pocket.

Out of curiosity, I reached up to touch my forehead until I felt a sting. There was a dot of blood at the tip of my finger. No wonder it hurts when my hand touched it. Rachel pressed a piece of tissue into my palm when Eva suddenly took it away.

"What's this for?" Eva threw Rachel a look and waved the tissue in front of her.

"I.. I wasn't looking when I came down the stairs. At the same time, Zach was walking up the stairs. Then the files I was bringing down accidentally knocked onto him. I saw that his forehead is bleeding so I gave him a tissue to wipe it off." Rachel explained thoroughly and she was staring at the floor while doing so.