20.

❇ Rachel's POV ❇

I could practically hear every little movements from the people waiting outside the doctor's office. The clicking sound of pen from the nurses. Sounds of wailing kids from the opposite pediatrician clinic. Soothing music were playing from the radio which was supposed to create a calming effect. However, my nerves were strung even tighter as the patient before me knocked on the doctor's door.

Ella offered to accompany me here but she had already bought her return ticket. So, I told her that it was okay for me to do this alone. Well, I have been doing fine until now. The anxiety curled into my stomach and my palms were beginning to sweat. I sucked in a shaky breath, feeling my throat constrict. I bit on my lower lip as tears were starting to fill up my eyes.

"Rachel Williams."

I snapped up my head to look at the nurse who just called out my name. I sniffed back the tears that were still lingering before standing up. I steadied my shaky legs and chided myself for being a weakling. The nurse had a weary smile on her face as she gestured me to head into the doctor's office.

I stepped into the room, but could not find the doctor sitting at her usual spot. I quietly closed the door behind me and pulled out a chair to sit while waiting for the doctor.

"Hold on for a minute, Ms Williams. I'll be right there." Dr Johnson's voice seemed to be coming from behind the white curtains.

"Okay." I replied and tried not to look at the file that was lying on the table. I could feel my smartphone vibrated in my handbag, but I ignored it. Probably, it was Ella who wanted to know my test result.

"Ah, sorry for keeping you wait. Now, let's take a look at your test result." Dr Johnson drew the curtain after she was done with whatever she was doing. I nervously observed Dr Johnson's reaction as she scan through my test result. It seemed like eternity when she finally opened her mouth to speak.

"Well, I'm not sure if I should congratulate you or not. It all depends on what you hope your test result will be."

I took in a sharp intake of breath as I simply blinked at the doctor without saying anything. The doctor took it as a cue to carry on.

"You're not pregnant."

Both of my hands flew to my mouth and tears of relief rolled down my cheeks. Once the first drop of tear escaped, there was no stopping of it. The stress that I was carrying for the past few days finally found its freedom. Even though it was absolutely embarrassing to cry in front of your doctor, but I could not help it.

I dare not tell my mother about Gavin and certainly not this visit to the doctor's. I felt the doctor's hand patting on my back as she started to talk to me.

"Don't be too sad over this. You're still young, you and your husband can still try for another baby."

After hearing the doctor's words, I stopped crying and lifted up my head with wide eyes. A few seconds went by before I burst out laughing. Dr Johnson's hand stopped mid-air as she was bewildered with my reaction. She folded her arms and tried to figure out what was so funny.

I have laughed so hard that the sides of my stomach began to ache and could not breathe properly. My laughter started to subside as I calmed myself down. When I turned to face Dr Johnson, a frown creasing deep furrows in her forehead.

"Uh.. I'm not crazy.. I just find your statement amusing. As I'm actually relieved that I'm not pregnant."

Both of Dr Johnson's eyebrows shot up as she looked kind of embarrassed.

"Oh I see.. Pardon me for jumping into conclusion."

"No no it's alright.. I've taken a test at home and it says I'm not pregnant. But I want to double confirm and reassure myself."