38.

❇ Rachel's POV ❇

On my way to the office building, I spotted a few familiar faces and gave them a polite smile. The smile slowly turned into a grin. Today is my first official day as Deputy Accounting Manager. I could barely contain my excitement. I know with this new role, it comes with greater challenges and responsibilities.

I don't want to disappoint Mrs Wright and anybody else who believed in me. Of course, I have doubts about how I could even manage this new job and colleagues. Considering the wonderful impression I've left on Rylie and Christie. At the thought of that, the grin fell away.

I turned left instead of right when I stepped out of the elevator. I gave Amelia, who was on the phone, a quick nod of acknowledgement.

"Good morning," Jackson greeted and walked over as soon as he saw me.

"Good morning," that was all I could say before Jackson pulled me aside.

"I've called for a meeting in 10 minutes," Jackson started. "I'm aware of the hostility both Rylie and Christie have been giving you. I'm going to try and make things easier for you. But, ultimately it depends on how you handle it."

I looked at him in surprise. "Oh okay. Thank you."

"Rylie, she's a good person. Just give her some time to adjust. As for Christie.. I'm still figuring out how to deal with her," Jackson admitted.

"But, I look forward to working with you," he added with a smile.

"Me too."

I quickly walked to my office, I kinda liked the sound of it 'my office'. I put down my bag and switched on the computer. Scanning through my mailbox, there was like tons of email that I need to reply. Pushing the upcoming work aside, I picked up my notebook and made my way to the meeting room.

Standing outside, I took a deep breath to calm the butterflies in my stomach. 'Let's do this' I murmured under my breath and pushed the door open. Most of my colleagues were already seated. They were talking but the room instantly became silent when I came in. I sat down on a chair next to Jackson's as the awkward silence grew even more awkward.

"Just to be clear, we don't want you as our boss and we won't treat you like one," Christie smirked. My hand itched to slap away the smug smile that was etched on her face. I clenched my fist tightly as I fought to control my anger.

"You don't have to like me," I said tightly.

"Is it too much to ask for you to be professional? If it's too difficult for you, maybe you're not suitable for this job afterall." I heard a few gasps and people were staring at me like I was crazy.

"You're making a terrible mistake here. You'll reg-"

"No, you are the one who's making a terrible mistake. Like I said, you don't have to like me. I'm not here to be a people pleaser. I'm here to do my job and so are all of you. Why do we have to make each others' life so hard?"

"Life isn't fair. So suck it up," Christie hissed.

"Well you can heed your own advice then! I am your boss now whether you like it or not and don't think that I would tolerate such nonsense from you!" I bristled at Christie's rudeness.

Christie looked like she wanted to scream at me but was interrupted by Rylie.

"Enough! Stop arguing, let's try to work together." Rylie raised her voice to get our attention.

"Rylie is right," Jackson commented as he strolled into the meeting room. Once again, the meeting room became silent as a mouse.

"None of this will happen if Rylie was promoted instead of Rachel."