21.

⭐ Zachary's POV ⭐

* 3 years later *

"Don't worry dad, I'll have more time to spare after a week or so."

"So your mum can start tidying up your old room?"

"Yeah!"

"Your mum will be elated to know you're coming home." My dad said and I could imagine the smile on his face.

"Dad.. I miss you and mum." I blurted out those words before I even knew it. I never told my parents about how lonely I felt being in a big city.

"Your mum and I miss you too, kid. Now, get your ass back here as soon as you can." Hearing my dad calling me 'kid' again, made me feel like crying. But, my dad raised me to be a tough man. I quickly push away the feeling and replaced it with a smile of my own.

"I will dad, I definitely will." I hung up the call, feeling emotionally refreshed. I always loved talking to my dad, he always seemed to make my problems look small.

'It all lies in what you believe.' I grew up hearing my dad instilling this phrase into my head.

I picked up my briefcase to retrieve the book I have been reading it recently. Despite my busy schedule, I still managed find time and read this book one page at a time.

Whenever I got hooked to a book, it would constantly be in my hands. My eyes would continue absorbing every single word till it aches. My brain would slowly take in the whole story with every flip of a page. It's like an obsession to the book. I could not seem to let it down when the story was getting even more interesting with each chapter.

Therefore, in order to set a limit for myself, I tried not to be too into the book. Like, it should not be consistently distracting me from serious work. So far, yeah, I have been able to control myself.

Stubbornness is good, sometimes. But, usually it will lead you to do something that you want to, not need to.

As I immersed myself into a whole other universe, expressing the other character's feelings, memories, the pain or anger, confusion, sadness, happiness. I temporarily forgot everything that was around me. I didn't even noticed that my bookmark had slipped off the book. Some kind soul picked it up and waved it in front of my eyes.

When I looked up to thank that person, I saw Rachel's fiancé, Gavin, standing next to a gift shop. He kept glancing down to his watch, as if he was rushing for time. I contemplated whether I should just ignore him or get up and say hi. But, I have decided on the latter.

Placing my bookmark to the page I stopped at, I put it inside my briefcase before standing up. I wondered if Gavin was waiting for Rachel. I haven't seen her for quite some time now. The last time I saw her was a few months back. I just closed the deal with Crewe Lines, and exited the restaurant with a huge grin. Rachel was running out from a bakery, right opposite of me.

I didn't have to chance to say hi and talk to her. Maybe, I have the chance today.

Before I reached to where Gavin was standing, he suddenly took off to another direction. I stopped walking immediately and decided not to follow him. Gavin probably was in a hurry, looking at how fast he was walking.

I shrugged and thought perhaps, today wasn't the day. Giving my watch a brief glance, I realized it was already time for me to board the plane.
*~*~*~*~*~*

"Mr Davis, Stevens Paper called in to postpone the meeting. They're asking if it can be rescheduled to tomorrow morning?" Olivia was reading off her notebook as she lifted her gaze to meet mine.