25.

⭐ Zachary's POV ⭐

"So can you now tell me where are we going?" Rachel asked as soon as she buckled her seat belt.

"Santa Barbara," I answered while putting the car into first gear and drove off with the cool whirring engine of my car hummed away in the morning.

As I glanced sideways, Rachel had a slight frown creasing her smooth forehead. A soft chuckle escaped my lips which made Rachel turned to look at me.

"Did I do or say anything funny?"

"Just ask me whatever that is inside your pretty head."

"Why did you suddenly arrange for a weekend getaway?"

"Well, it's all Jake's idea. He said it's been some time since we've all gathered together. Besides, he only told me about it last night. I tried calling you on the phone but you've turned off your phone."

"My phone's out of juice.. I was too exhausted to charge it before I slept." To prove her point, Rachel waved her phone which was connected to a portable charger.

"You can get some shut eye, it's a long drive ahead," I said.

The response I had gotten was a soft snore coming from Rachel. I ran a hand over my mouth to smother the grin that was formed on my lips.

The morning sun rays were peeking through the white fluffy clouds. Providing brightness to the gloomy streets of Los Angeles. The early risers were filling up the empty streets. I switched off the aircon and rolled down the windows to hear the quietness of Los Angeles.

A bustling city like Los Angeles is normally filled with orchestral sounds of horns honking, people chattering, and footsteps hitting the pavement.

It wasn't long before I could see the tall buildings becoming smaller and smaller from the side view mirror.

My favourite radio station was playing classical hits from the 80s. Despite the fact that Rachel was sleeping, I reached over and turned up the volume. I stole a quick glance at Rachel who didn't seem to be affected by the slightly louder music.

Traffic was starting to slow down and I could see the long long line of cars in front of me. The clock on my car showed that it was 8.30am. We had agreed to meet at the hotel by noon. Looking at the heavy traffic ahead, I just hope that we wouldn't be too late.

When Belinda Carlisle's Heaven Is A Place On Earth was played, my fingers and toes have an automatic reaction to the music. I hummed along with the song as quietly as I could.

The car hadn't been able to move for the last fifteen minutes. I was so bored of waiting and the only person I could talk to was snoring away beside me. I leant my head against the window while the car beside us honked loudly.

Rachel stirred from her sleep and started to mumble something before her eyes flew open.

"Oh man. How long have we been stuck here?" Rachel was scanning the traffic ahead of us as she asked.

"Close to 20 minutes now."

"But we're reaching soon?"

"Technically, yes. But, this traffic jam makes the traveling time even longer."

"So, let's make this waiting time more enjoyable."

"How?" I questioned with an arched eyebrow.

"Don't worry, we'll find something interesting to talk about," Rachel said with a grin.

Time indeed passed much faster than before and I really enjoyed Rachel's company. It actually felt like those times when we were dating.

When we were finally out of the traffic jam, I stepped on the gas. I breathe a sigh of relief as the hotel came into our line of sight. According to the clock on my car, we've reached on time.