17.

❇ Rachel's POV ❇

"Have you contacted the person in charge from The Wave?" Mrs Wright glanced up from her work schedule and exchanged it with another file.

"Yes, they will be making the necessary arrangements as requested by us."

"Eva would like you to continue to work with her new assistant, Katie, for her upcoming project. Since you've been the one handling all the stuff from the start."

"Okay." I mumbled an answer which made Mrs Wright to look at me, again.

"Look, I know it's overwhelming to be doing two jobs for the salary of one. But, it will be worth the experience." Mrs Wright removed her reading glasses and pushed her chair back.

"I'll be out for the rest of the day, call me if there are any important messages." Mrs Wright put on her coat and left the office.

I closed the door quietly and returned back to my table. The door opposite from where I was seated, opened up and Katie came out with her head hung low.

"What's wrong?" My question made Katie lifted up her eyes to look at me.

"Oh, nothing much. Eva's just having a bad day." Katie mumbled softly and I had a hard time trying to make out what she was saying.

"How did you put up with her horrible temper?" Katie's question made me snapped out of my day dream.

I blinked a few times before answering her. "Well, I just did my work and tried not to talk to her other than work."

Katie have nothing to say about what I have just told her and started sorting out her files. While searching for my pen, the phone on my desk rang and I answered it.

"Hello, this is Gracefully Poise, Rachel speaking. How can I help you today?"

"Hi, may I speak to Mrs Wright?"

"May I know who's calling?"

"This is Mr Burns from Cold Stone."

"I'm sorry, Mr Burns, Mrs Wright is not available right now. May I take a message?"

I took out my notepad and let out a breath of relief when I finally got hold of my pen. I quickly scribbled down Mr Burns' message and noticed that Katie's seat was empty.

"Alright, please ensure that she calls me back as soon as possible."

"Yes, I will. Have a good day."

I pasted a sticky note on my calendar to remind myself along with the long list of tasks that I have to do. I was typing an email to the supplier when the door to Eva's office flew open.

"What the hell is your prob-" Eva paused as she saw that Katie was not at her desk.

"Where is she?" Eva hooked a thumb towards Katie's seat as she lifted an eyebrow.

"I have no idea." I successfully stopped myself from shrugging because that would seem like I did not give a damn.

"Tell her to come in when she's back." With that, Eva whirled around and stomped back to her office, shutting the door with a loud bang.

I was too engrossed in my work that I completely forgotten about Eva's instructions. I lifted up my head to see that Katie had cleared up her table. Furthermore, she was no where to be seen.

I was tidying up my desk while trying to call Katie on her smartphone. The phone of Katie's desk suddenly rang and I quickly ran over to answer the call. Before I could say anything, Eva's voice pierced through my ear.