9.

❇ Rachel's POV ❇

After that awkward encounter with Zachary, I have never completed my shopping as fast as I did. Without double-checking the things on my basket and the table cloth Zachary took for me, I ran to the cashier as calmly as I could.

My nerves were jumping like wild horses and my breathing was erratic. I quickly find a seat before my legs give up on me.

I counted to ten as an attempt to cool myself down. Why am I so nervous about bumping into Zachary? He's just my ex-boyfriend, nothing else.

Oh God, that hug at the end. Zachary still had the familiar aftershave scent on him. Zachary did not change much in terms of his appearance. The cheeky smirk that he used to do, was now a lazy and tired smirk. I could see the tiredness in his eyes. He looked broken when he admitted about the rough relationship with his girlfriend. Yet, he was putting on a strong front.

I nearly shrieked out loud when my phone rang in my bag.

"Hello?" I answered without checking who's the caller.

"Sweetie? Are you done with your shopping?" My mum asked and the sound of her closing a cupboard was at the other end of the call.

"Yeah. Mum, guess who I've just met."

"Who? Your high school friend?"

"Yup, he's a high school friend."

"Zachary?"

I squinted my eyes in suspicion.

"How did you know it was him?"

My mum was laughing as I finally began to relax.

"Natalie told me before that Zachary has a newspaper company here. So, I took a wild guess."

"Oh, I see. Why didn't you tell me before?"

"Tell you Zachary is living here? Would that make any difference?"

"Um... No."

"That's it, honey. Are you on the way home now?

"Yes." I grabbed my things and stood up.

"Alright, lunch is almost ready."
*~*~*~*~*

Nothing beats wearing a comfy sweatshirt and sweatpants. I was lying down on my stomach, scrolling through the website for job seekers. Earlier on for dinner, my mother and I went out to tour around Los Angeles.

I absolutely did not want to depend on Gavin to support me financially. A woman needs to be independent and strong. Even if our hearts are not as strong when it comes to heartbreaks. We have to learn to stand up with our heads up high.

I do not want to be in a state where I could not support myself financially. Therefore, Gavin could not use that as my weakness to threaten me when necessary.

I deserve a pat on my shoulder, am I right?

"Rachel, do you want some ice cream for dessert?" My mother appeared from the kitchen.

"Sounds good! I want the cookies and cream flavour!"

My mother's laughter could be heard while she took out the tub of cookies and cream.

"Sweetheart, how's job hunting so far?" My mother tickled the bottom of my foot to get my attention.

I cast my eyes downwards and fell silent.

"Is it that bad?"

"Yup, zero vacancies for kindergarten teachers," I replied with a soft sigh and sat up straight.