30.

❇ Rachel's POV ❇

"So how was your lunch with Gavin and his wife?" Nicole asked as she took a sip of her coffee.

"Interesting," I replied with a smile.

"That's all you can say?" Nicole had an eyebrow raised as she looked at me.

"His son is absolutely adorable."

Helen was chuckling as she noticed the smirk on my face. I know that Nicole wanted to know everything from the start of the lunch. But sometimes it was fun to annoy Nicole.

"I know, you've shown us photos of Gavin's son. He is adorable. But, what do you think of his wife?" Nicole rolled her eyes impatiently.

I stifled a laugh and said, "She's lovely, more friendlier than I thought."

"Well, I'd be lying to say that the meeting with them wasn't awkward at all. I guess Leah's friendliness towards me was because of Gavin. I sort of guessed that it wasn't exactly her idea to apologise to me. I'm just glad that I could finally close that chapter of my life," I continued with a small shrug.

No one at the table said anything for a few minutes. They knew how much I went through after the breakup and the efforts that I have put in to move on. For the past 3 years, I have always wondered why Gavin had done what he did. From blaming him, to blaming myself, I have learnt that nothing is right or wrong in a relationship. It took me a very long time to realise and understand that simple fact.

After knowing the real reason behind his actions made me feel ashamed for blaming Gavin. However, judging from the lunch with his family, I didn't think that Leah would like me to be friends with Gavin.

As I glanced from Helen's baby bump to the engagement ring on Nicole's finger, I felt happy for them but sad for myself. Even Ella, who couldn't join our gathering today, recently started dating.

It's not like I want to have a boyfriend right now. But, seeing all of your friends are attached and there's you. Having said that, I believe finding true love takes time because what's mine will be mine.

"Hey girls, wanna have some fun?" My question made everyone focus their attention on me.

"No," Helen answered with a cheeky smirk.

"Fine then, we'll count you out," I responded with a wink.

"Oh please, grow up!" The three of us burst into a fit of laughter after Nicole completed her sentence.

"C'mon, it'll be safe for you and your baby." 

"Where are you suggesting we should go?"

"An arcade?"

"Seriously?"

I nodded my head as the corners of my mouth quirked up.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Helen: Rach, message us when you're back home, alright?

Rachel: I'm a few steps away from home, have a good rest, Helen and Nikki! 😊

Nicole: Goodnight Rach and Helen! 😴

I was typing and walking towards my apartment when I saw someone leaning against the wall, next to my door. When I got a closer look at who that was, my mouth formed a little 'o'.

"Zach? What are you doing here?" Surprise was evident in my voice as I reached into the pocket for my keys.

Zachary pushed himself away from the wall as his lips curved into a smile. I closed up the gap between us and noticed he was holding something in his hands.