26.

❇ Rachel's POV ❇

"I.. I am as surprised as you guys," Nicole said softly as tears began to roll down her cheeks.

"That's not the point here. Since when did you both started dating?" Zachary asked.

"Well.. Um.." Nicole stuttered and avoided his gaze.

"Not long after high school graduation," Jake entered the room with a smile.

"And.. You both kept it secret? From us?" This time it was Ella was spoke as she slowly registered what was going on.

"It was Jake's idea," Nicole replied.

"But why?" I asked then realised I wasn't specific enough. "I mean why neither of you mention anything to us?"

"I didn't think I could give Nicole the type of relationship she wanted. Besides, it's hard to explain it to you guys when we kept on breaking up and getting back together," Jake blurted out the reason so fast we were all having a hard time to catch his words.

"So now you think you're ready?" Nicole tilted her chin as she silently challenged Jake with a fierce spark in her eyes.

"Yes," Jake answered with a huge grin spread across his face.

Nicole rolled her eyes in disagreement. Jake quickly rushed towards Nicole and took her hands into his.

"I know you're mad at me for being such a coward. But, I really thought I'm doing you a favour. You deserve someone a thousand times better than me. It took me long enough to know that you don't need that someone. You need me."

Hearing Jake's words brought tears to my eyes. Once upon a time, I also wanted a particular someone to say those things to me. As my gaze wandered and landed on Zachary, I bit back a sigh.

"Nicole, will you give me another chance?"

"On one condition," Nicole wriggled her forefinger in front of Jake.

"You have to stop being so secretive about our relationship. It hurts me when it seems like you didn't want anyone to know about us."

"Well, you don't have to worry about that Nicole. We already know about you two," Helen said with a wink.

I was smiling from ear to ear as Nicole and Jake embraced in a tight hug. I couldn't be more happier for the both of them. Even though we were all stunned by the sudden news, everyone was glad it happened.

After we were done with our dinner, I slipped away when no one was looking. I did enjoy myself today, but sometimes I just needed to be alone for awhile.

There was a beach located beside the restaurant. Only a few people were scattered around the beach because of the late timing. Personally I like it when the beach isn't crowded with shirtless men and women in bikini.

I took off my shoes and felt the sand squeezed through my toes. Back in LA, all my time was dedicated to work. At first it felt great to be busy because it served as a distraction for my problems.

Now, I just wish to stay at home and read my long forgotten books. I bought those books when I first moved to LA. But, I didn't get the chance to read finish all of them, yet.

I shivered at the cool breeze and pulled my cardigan closer to me. I silently chided myself for not wearing something warmer. The cardigan was barely providing me any warmth.

I was rubbing my arms to fight off the coldness. I saw a shadow behind me and turned to see Zachary putting his jacket on my shoulders.

"Oh, thanks," I smiled as Zachary took a seat beside me.