12.

❇ Rachel's POV ❇

"Oh, God. I must be crazy saying all those things to her. " I mumbled under my breath.

My legs were almost giving up on me. I quickly grabbed my chair and placed myself on it. I absolutely did not picture this to happen on my first day of work. Whatever I just did or said sealed my fate on this job.

Earlier this morning, Mrs Wright asked me to pass a supplier's list to Eva. When I went in, she did not even bother to look up. I was coldly dismissed after placing that piece of paper in front of her. Thank goodness I have decided to work for Mrs Wright instead of Eva. I wonder who would be the lucky one to work for Eva, and wished the best of luck for that person.

Despite feeling awful for my actions, I still felt that it was necessary for me to say those things. I braced myself for the consequences because if Eva wants to make me suffer, she could do so. I sat at my table for a few more minutes to ensure that Zachary and his girlfriend already left the building. Mrs Wright and the others all went out for lunch while I was preparing for the meeting later on.

I did not have the time to interact with my colleagues, yet. But they did give me a friendly vibe when I bumped into some of them. Last night, I searched for places that were near and served delicious food to fill my forever hungry stomach. As expected on my first day of work, everyone went off without calling me along.

Baby steps, Rachel.

I scanned my card to unlock the door. Seeing that no one was outside, I let out a breath of relief.

To be honest, I dreamt of exploring somewhere new by myself and discover interesting things.

The city of Los Angeles was buzzing when I stepped out of the building. Everyone pulled their trench coats closer to them as a gust of wind blew by. Footsteps to the subway station were faster than normal. My lunchtime was ticking away with every minute. I managed to squeeze into the train just before the door shut right in front of me. 

It was really stuffy and my limbs could not even move an inch. Luckily, my destination was only one stop away. I scurried out as soon as the door slide open and took a breath in.

It would be nice if there were fresh air on that train.

I climbed up the stairs two at a time and found myself looking at a very unfamiliar street. My hands searched through my bag and took out the phone. Following the instructions on how to get to the bistro. I could spot the signboard in no time.

My heart sank when I saw the number of people in that bistro.

Oh boy.

It was so packed that some customers are waiting outside for empty tables. I stood outside the bistro and focused on my phone. According to the website, there's a cafeteria which sells affordable yet delicious food. Taking one last look at the bistro, I started to walk away from it.

"Hey, Rachel?" Unexpectedly, someone called me after taking two steps.

I halted in my tracks but did not dare to turn around. In case, the 'Rachel' was not referring to me.

My eyes were looking on the floor, and I saw a shadow before a person stood in front of me. It was my colleague from Gracefully Poise.

"Hey, you're here alone?" Bianca, one of the designers tapped on my shoulder.

"Ah, yes." I turned around to reply to her.

"You wanted to have your lunch here, right?"

"Well, yeah," I responded with a smile.