Part 2:Damsel In Distress

"That is just not enough food." Anidhi complained for the fifth time as we got out of the cab. I had just found out about Nehal's disaster announcement at Shivam's engagement party and Anidhi and I knew strict measures were to be taken. Nehal was not picking up her phone and as Anidhi told me she literally ran out of the party. 

Letting my boss know I was going to be late over email, I got out of the cab as well and checked out the bags in my hand. I was loaded with junk food and beverages. Also some healthy options because you never know when Nehal is in her I-want-to-live-a-healthy-life mood, which came once a month randomly. Nehal was an attractive woman, about 5'6, with big bambie eyes and wavy black hair being the highlights. She was just three sizes over what was deemed skinny so she always tried to shed some kilos, no matter how many times we told her she was fine. She was a freelance writer and was currently working on her new book. Although god knows what will happen to this book after this. 

"Anidhi, shut it. If she wants something else we will just order." 

"Okay. Hey Sanya, what do you think we should do though? Anshul has asked me to let him know whats wrong with her."

"Look, don't tell him anything. Knowing Nehal, she is always confused. She must have had a moment of weakness. She broke up with Shivam four years ago and she was happy after that. I'm sure she just got scared over whether it was a mistake or not. She has been crazy about Anshul for years."

"If you say so."

We entered her building and soon stood outside her door.  

It was amazing how times had changed. We all had known each other since the past ten years or even longer in case of Anidhi and Nehal. They were together in school ever since first grade.  As teenagers, heartbreaks and crushes were a regular thing in our lives and back then too one of us always needed assistance and the other two were always ready with lots of food. 

In case of Nehal, who was an over thinker, ice-cream managed to calm her down.  

She finally opened the door and what we saw killed us. Actually what we smelled killed us and what we saw shocked us. She was wearing a white button up shirt with black shorts. Her hair were no less than a bird's nest. And it was clear, she hadn't slept. 

Making our way in, Anidhi was the first one to comment. 

"What is that smell?"

"Here." Nehal threw something at us. It was Perfume. 

"What do you want me to do with it?"

"It will help."

"Geez, it's like something  died."

"Something did."

"What?" I asked, looking around for a dead rat or something.

"I did." She said and started crying. 

Anidhi gave me a look and went to the kitchen to keep all the bags of food. "I will get us some tea." 

"Tea? Since when?"

"Since I found out I am pregnant and realized I cannot drink anymore."

I looked at her with wide eyes. Nehal was paying attention as well. 

"What the hell? Congratulations!" Suddenly we remembered the damsel in distress in the room and each one of us sat beside her on her couch. 

"Congra........", and she burst into tears again. 

"I love him. I am in love with Shivam." 

"What about Anshul?"

"I...I don't know. He might have been just a silly crush!"

"Shivam is getting married Nehal. Maybe you are just afraid things will change once he is married?" 

"He hasn't been serious about anyone ever since we broke up and all of a sudden he is getting married to someone he barely knows? This is just a rebound thing!" She exclaimed.

"A rebound after five years of breakup? And don't forget the girl he is marring is your sister!." Anidhi replied. 

Anidhi was married to her college boyfriend and was quite happy. He took care of her well and apart from silly fights they were a happy couple. I never envied how things worked out for her because I never wanted to marry early but looking at Anidhi with the least drama, stable romantic life and now a baby, I was a little jealous. 

The bell of  the apartment rang and I got up to open the door.

Shivam.

"What are you doing here?" 

"Can I come in? I need to speak with her."

"Shivam."

"Sanya."

"What do you want?"

"She is not in good shape."

He ignored me and made his way inside shoving me aside a little. He looked very angry. 

"There you are. I have been calling you!" 

Nehal looked shocked to see him here and was glaring at me. I knew the look. Us girls can converse well with just our expressions. Right now she was asking me why I let him in when I knew she looked bad. 

"I am sorry for everything." Nehal said after awhile. 

"Yes, you should be you. You ruined one good thing in my life that was happening after years!.

Nehal did not reply and Shivam was glaring at her. It looked like Nehal was trying to contain her years. 

"I am pregnant." Anidhi said. And Shivam turned to her. I gave her a look which she understood as she said, "What. Just trying to break the awkward silence!."

"Congratulations." Shivam said to her softly. Then he turned to me. "By the way, Arvind was wanting to know when you will get back." 

"Okay. Thanks."

"I am in love with you too Nehal."

Shivam said and then sat down beside her. And that was our cue to leave.