Raelynn

I shut the door of my room. I couldn't believe it. There I was, under the same roof, with the person who could end my life. I sat there on my bed, my face buried in my hands. My mind was in a frenzy.

"Rae?" I heard Claire call from outside my room, disrupting my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I called back.

"Get dressed by 7. We're taking Aiden out for dinner. That's cool with you, right?"

"Yeah." No, it's not cool with me!

"Okay, cool!"

'Yup... this is going to be fun.' I thought to myself, almost in tears.

That evening turned out to be the most dreadful one of my life. While Claire chatted away with him happily, oblivious to my dilemma, I was lost trying to count the number of days I had left to live. What was Aiden planning? He didn't seem to have reported it. He didn't even mention a word to Claire. But why? I knew he had seen me. The door to the boathouse had been ajar when I came up that morning, and I distinctly remembered having closed it. And the trapdoor to the basement, though inconspicuous when closed, it was very noticeable when it lay open. It drove me insane, sitting with him at the same table, trying to read his mind. And what was it about those strikingly handsome blue eyes? I seem to forget everything every time I looked into them. There was something about the way they were placed below the silky, messy dark brown hair.

I tossed and turned in my bed all night. There was no way I was going to get any sleep at all. Why hasn't he told anyone? I was absolutely restless. The question was wrecking my mind.

I sat up on my bed. 'This is killing me.' I thought.

I got out of bed to get a glass of water. I went to the living room and found the door to the balcony open. Aiden standing there, alone.

I don't know how I did it but I had to know. With all the courage I had, I walked out and stood by him.

He looked at me from the corner of this eye. I didn't look at him.

"Why?" I finally managed to say. He turned to me.

"You saw everything. But you didn't report me to the police. And I know for a fact that you haven't said a word to Claire either." I turned to face him and asked again, "Why?"

He shrugged. "None of my business."

I couldn't understand. Did that mean he hadn't seen enough to understand the gravity of what I had been doing?

Just then a very sleepy Claire came into the living room. "What are you guys doing out there in the cold?" she asked rubbing her eyes.

"Just talking." I replied softly.

Then she looked at both of us and gave us a weird smile.

"Don't even think about it, Claire." I said,knowing exactly what she was thinking about.