Aiden

Sunday found us all – Claire, all the people at Braveheart, and the kids from the orphanage – picnicking in the local park. I was busy playing soccer with the older boys when suddenly, I noticed Michael leave his group of friends who were playing baseball and follow a tall, lanky boy to a side. This boy wasn't anyone from the orphanage. Something about the boy, and Michael's fearful face seemed fishy.

I excused myself and went after them. No one seemed to notice both of them cross the street. The boy led Michael to the corner of the street. I stood on the other side behind a wall and listened carefully. 'Who is this kid and what did he want from Michael?' I asked myself.

"What do you want Alex?" I heard Michael ask the boy.

"I've been watching you for a while. You seem to be having fun," the boy started off, "so much fun that you've forgotten about me and the other boys. And you've forgotten 'bout your family too."

"My uncle and his friends aren't my family. I got a new family now." Michael said firmly.

"Who? Those kids? Yeah right!" I heard Alex crack up.

"If you've come to talk to me about family, I'm out of here." Michael said annoyed, turning around.

"That blonde woman, her name's Claire, right?" I heard Alex call out to Michael as he was about to walk off. Michael froze in his tracks. I was shocked too. How did he know and what did he want with Claire?

Michael turned around slowly.

"I knew it." Alex said with a smirk on his face.

"What do you want with her?" Michael asked, his tone serious and defensive.

"Nothing." Alex paused before adding, "As long as you follow the instructions I give you."

"I'm not coming back! There's no way I'm coming back!" Michael shouted.

"Don't worry." Alex said in a calm voice, "Your uncle just sent me to tell you, there's dome unfinished business and wants to just finish it off and he needs you for it."

"What business?" Michael shot at him.

"I don't know, he didn't say. You know your uncle." Alex replied. Michael became quiet.

"You come, finish your business and we'll let you go back to your new life." Alex told him.

"And if I don't?" Michael asked quickly.

"Well then, your uncle and his friend will come after Claire." He answered threateningly. Michael didn't know what to say.

"Think about it, Michael." Alex said slowly, "Do you really want your precious Claire to get hurt because of you?"

I was furious. Who did that bastard think he was, sending a boy to threaten Michael like that? And really, he was targeting Claire? I looked at Michael's terrified face, and my blood began to boil.

"So, I'll leave you to think about it. I don't actually need an answer right now. If you're smart, you'll come tomorrow to #66, Jasper Street at 11a.m. And if you're not, well..." Alex looked into Michael's eyes, a dangerous smile on his face. "Well then, I feel really sorry for Claire." With that, he turned and left, leaving Michael standing there motionless.

'This has to end.' I thought to myself as I walked back to the park.