Claire

"Claire!" Christina waved. She was one of the volunteers at the orphanage. Ana, who had been talking to Christina, was surprised to see me. "Aren't you supposed to be at work?"

"Yeah! There are these files I need and I can't find them anywhere at home so I thought I'd just check out the office here."

I went into my office and after rummaging around for a bit, I found what I'd been looking for.

"Found it?" Ana asked, as I headed back out.

"Uhuh," I nodded. "Everything alright here?" I asked casually, addressing Christina.

"Yeah," Christina smiled. "Oh, just Michael didn't show up for breakfast this morning, or classes. But it's nothing to worry about," she assured me, seeing the alarmed look on my face. "Jay said Michael told him he was just feeling a little sick."

I glanced at my watch. 10 AM. I was a little late, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to check up on Michael for a couple of minutes.

I walked out of the main building and went over to the orphanage. Michael would be up on the first floor, in the boys' wing. I found him in his dorm, sitting on his bed and for some odd reason he looked a little edgy.

"Michael?"

He jumped violently. "Claire!" he blinked at me, absolutely surprised. "I...oh...why're y-you here?" He stammered.

I moved closer to his bed. "Christina told me you were feeling a little sick, so I just came by to check on you."

"Oh, it's nothing," he said, staring down at his fingers. "Just...I'm a little tired after yesterday," he mumbled unconvincingly.

I sat down beside him on his bed without saying anything. The way he refused to meet my gaze, I knew he was lying.

"Aren't you gonna go for work?" He asked after a while, attempting to make it sound offhand.

"I will." I looked straight into his green eyes. "But only after you tell me what's really going on with you."

"I told you, I'm just...tired." He broke off the eye contact, and stared down at the floor.

"I'm serious, Michael." My voice was stern. "Tell me the truth."

He was taken aback by how firm I was being. I had surprised myself too actually.

I softened my tone and put an arm around his shoulders. "You know you can tell me absolutely anything." I noticed he was sweating.

"Claire..." he looked up at my face. "...Claire, I've been keeping something from you."

"Go on," I said encouragingly.

"Yesterday...at the picnic...I met Alex. He's one of the boys who work for my uncle."

I stiffened at the mention of his uncle.

"And?" I asked quietly. I could feel my heart thumping.

"...he said...he said there is some unfinished business my uncle needs me for and that...they'll be waiting for my today, at 11 on East Letterly...and that...well, I should go...and...well, yeah..."

"You weren't thinking of going, were you?" I asked him sharply.

Michael didn't respond. He just stared down at his fingers, twisting them.

"Michael?!"

He remained mute.

I looked at what he was wearing – jeans and a T shirt. He even had his sneakers on. I lost it.

"I can't believe you decided to go back there!" I yelled. "Do you have any idea how dangerous, how stupid that is?!"

His eyes snapped up to my face. "They said they'd come after you if I didn't show up!" he shouted back in defense.

I stared at him, dumbfounded. "Right." I stoodup, determined. "I'm calling the cops."