Raelynn

I could hear the sound of keys unlocking the door to our apartment. It had to be Claire. I waited for the usual cheerful “Rae, I’m home!” Instead all I heard was the keys being thrown on the table near the door. She stormed into the kitchen and grabbing the bowl from my hands she started mixing the batter so violently, I became very concerned about the fate of my carefully whipped preparatory mixture for Buttered Floating Scones.

 “Erm...Claire…it’s gonna split…”

 Then, she burst into tears.

 I waited for her to say something.

 She put down the bowl on the kitchen counter and turned to me.

 “How could he? I mean, HOW COULD HE?! Six months, Rae!! Did it mean nothing to him?! SIX whole months and it was so easy for him to throw it all away just like that?!”

 “…Jerry?” I asked, knowing the answer anyway. I always knew that guy was a jerk.

Claire continued without bothering to respond, “and all for that redhead! What does he even see in her? God, did you see what she was wearing? She looked like a slut he’d picked off the street – oh, I wouldn’t even be surprised if she was one! And the way they were all over each other…” she paused, out of breath. “I wonder how long he’s been doing this crap behind my back! What if it’s been going on all throughout these six months?!” she choked.

 “Claire…Claire, calm down. He’s a jackass and – “

She cut me off before I could complete my sentence, bawling, “And WHY, Rae?! Why would anyone do that! It’s sick! Why would you cheat on someone! God, I hate him so much – that bastard!!” She collapsed into a nearby chair, crying her heart out.

 I went up to her and hugged her as she sat there crying. “And to think I actually thought he was a nice guy,” she mumbled against my T shirt, sniffing. “To think I actually thought I loved him,” she sobbed. “Shh…he’s an arse. He didn’t deserve your love. He never deserved it.” I said stroking her soft blonde hair. I’ve never seen her like this. I had seen her cry before – Claire was the sensitive kind, and it never took much to bring tears to her eyes - but I’d never seen her that hurt before. I had hoped I never would have to see it but I knew it was coming. Jerry McCoy was an absolute jackass. He always has been. He blinded Claire with his pretence of love, knowing full well that she’s the kind who’d fall for the romantic shit. He was an arrogant, annoying bastard who was too full of himself. He had too much pride in his money and looks. I knew he was a player. The only reason I never said much was because Claire was really happy. I asked her to watch out for him but there were times when she was so incredibly happy, I actually thought he meant everything. It was in Claire’s absence that he showed his true colours, turning into the asshole he really was. He loved attention but no matter how much of it he received from Claire, it was never enough. Even when he was going out with her, he loved having girls all over him. As I held Claire against me while she sobbed, I could feel the slow, hot trickle of anger bubbling up inside me. That asshole had absolutely no right to hurt my best friend this way.

 She calmed down after a while and pulled away, wiping her nose with the back of her hand. “I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you when you warned me,” she said sadly. “I feel so stupid for falling for his crap!”

 “It’s alright, Eclaire,” I said, calling her by the nickname I’d come up with. “It isn’t your fault. Forget about him. He doesn’t deserve a place in your heart or mind. Now dry your tears, put a smile on your face and why don’t you come help me with these scones?”

 She smiled and stood up. “Atleast I dumped him with great dignity,” she giggled.

 “What did you do?” I asked, with a grin on my face.

 “I smashed a Mascaporne Cheesecake with Balsamic Strawberries down on his perfect blond hair,” she said, her blue eyes dancing with mischief.

 I’d never been so proud of her. “Awesome!” I shouted, giving her a high five. “That’s absolutely brilliant! I love you!” We both laughed together. I knew she’d be fine. All that was left now was for someone to teach that jerk a lesson.