Claire

The first thing I did on Friday morning was go to my dad's office. I got there at 8.45, 15 minutes before my father arrived. He was a very punctual man – no matter where he went, he was always on time. I paced around the spacious, air-conditioned room. I was too agitated to sit.

My father was a very patient man. It took a lot to anger him. But once you crossed a line, well he could make you wish you had never been born. Most people took my father's patience for granted and they never saw the storm coming. I had, however, learnt to recognize the glint in his eyes, the clenching of his jaw. I'd seen it yesterday as I walked out on Derek and I knew I was in for hell.

9.00 AM sharp, I hear my father greet his secretary, Melissa.

"Your daughter's waiting for you, sir," she said, sounding perplexed.

I then heard him move to the door and as it clicked open my throat constricted. He walked into the room, straight to his desk, and set his briefcase down. I inched my way to a chair across his. He didn't say a word until he had settled into his leather seat and turned his laptop on. I stood there by the chair, waiting for him to begin. Finally, he looked up at me and said, "so you did manage to find some time to grace us with your auspicious presence."

"I'm sorry...I..." I stuttered.

"Yes?" his voice was cold, chilling.

"I had no choice!" I began desperately. "It was really important! Maria called and – "

"Aah, I really want to hear this. What is it that Maria had to say that was so important you just walked right out of a board meeting? What," he continued, raising his voice," required your attention so immediately that you decided to abandon your co-worker in the middle of something that meant so much to him? Do you have any idea how Derek felt being left alone like that to deal with the board all by himself? Forget about Derek, did you even stop to think the impression your actions had on the board?!" His voice was loud, ringing with anger. I had never seen my father so enraged.

I looked into his eyes and said as calmly as I could, "I know it was an awful thing to do, Dad but honestly, I had no choice. Maria called...one of the boys at Braveheart had tried to commit suicide. I just had to go see him!"

He looked at me quietly for a minute, then sighed. "Claire, you have got to learn to prioritize."

"Prioritize?" I could feel anger building up in me now. "Nothing like that has ever happened at Braveheart, Dad! I'm sorry but I think that is where I had to be!" I burst out.

"And what about Derek?" He asked quietly. "Don't you think he was counting on you to help him pull it off?"

"He did, didn't he?" I said angrily. "He did convince them. He didn't need me!" I had texted Derek the previous night, apologizing for bailing on him. He said it was cool, they'd loved his idea anyway.

"That is not the point." His voice wasn't raised anymore. It had gone back to being bitingly cold. "You were supposed to be there with him. Because of your irresponsibility, you've lost your place as co-head of the team in charge of the ski lodge. Now you're just another member on the team, Claire."

"I don't care, Dad. They really needed me."

"Really, Claire? Are you saying Braveheart doesn't have enough staff to handle the issue at least until you're done with the meeting?"

I made an exasperated noise. I had a strong urge to pick up something and hurl it across the room. He just didn't understand!

"Listen, Claire." He looked into my eyes, his anger somewhat abated, his tone more gentle. "I need you to understand how important this is. In the future, I'm counting on you to run this enterprise. We all are, Claire. But if you keep up with the way you've been going lately, the board is going to be compelled to change its mind. And I will be on their side." He paused, waiting for the impact of his words to sink in. "I know your work at Braveheart is important. But that doesn't mean you can neglect your work here. I would suggest taking some time off Braveheart so you can direct all your energies here." His blue eyes were staring deep into mine. I could see how much this meant to him. "Please, Claire."

I was starting to feel really guilty now. I had been really distracted lately, too many thoughts in my head. I barely focused on my job anymore. And truth is, I actually enjoyed it. Just... I don't know what had gotten into me lately.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled. "I'll give the company more time." I looked into my father's face and said with as much belief I could, "And I will try my best to never let you down."

My father smiled at me, his anger gone. "I know you won't."

As I turned to leave, he called me back.

"Hey, Claire?"

"Yeah, Dad?" I turned to face him. He was back to being himself. I could tell by that warm sparkle which had return to his eyes.

"Is he alright? The kid you mentioned."

"Mhmm," I nodded, smiling at him.

"You know, I'm proud of the work you do at Braveheart," he said warmly.

I looked at him, a little surprised. "Thanks, Dad!"