Chapter 44

My stomach was in my throat.I almost choked trying to get the words out of my mouth.I felt my cheeks burn and I knew that they were bright red.I saw the boys playing in the front room waiting patiently for their mother."There was an accident a couple days ago in a woodsy area of where we live and...Sarah was in the car that crashed into a tree."She looked at me in utter disbelief.The expression on her face said it all.Tears rushed down her cheeks."She was out driving and lost control of the wheel.The windshield was completely shattered and...they found her blood in the car.They had tested it to make sure that...that it was hers.They haven't found her body..."She was crying so hard she started to cough.She got up and put her head over the side of the porch and threw up.She had kept repeating "...my baby...my baby...".I felt so horrible having to tell her that Sarah's dead when she's actually in a car knocked out by horse tranquilizer because she's a vampire.I rubbed her back and talked to her until she calmed down.She couldn't go back in the house crying and upset.She couldn't tell the boys either.She'd have to tell them when they're a little older.To them she's in NYC living her dream as a tattoo artist."You...you said there wasn't a body right?.."Does...does that mean that there's a chance she might still be alive?"I was hesitant to answer the question but I had too."There is a chance...but from the examination of the car and the crash impact...it's a very slim chance...I'm so sorry Michele."She hugged me harder than I've ever been hugged.I too started to cry,knowing that I just changed their lives in a terrible way.She went back into the house.I didn't hear what she was saying but she had called the boys out into the kitchen.I watched their movements and expressions as I watched through the window.Their faces too had shown sadness but not as horrible as their mother's.She must've told them that she won't be coming back to visit,won't be calling or sending mail.Sam started to cry while Jake and Johnny sat at the table with their heads down.I walked down the stairs and off of the porch.I walked back down the drive way with tears flowing down my cheeks.