Unloved

I opened my eyes and looked around. I was in a large white t-shirt, in a large, papery bed. I looked around and saw Rhett and Link sitting at a table further down the room. I immediately felt uncomfortable, a quiet voice told me 'They don't care about you. Their government makes them stay here with you. It's not personal, all legal business.' It made my heart hiccup and my stomach turn. Rhett noticed me and walked up to me. The muscles in my arms and legs began tensing up and shaking.

Rhett carefully put some of my hair behind my ear and gave me a calming, tired smile. The voice once again softly whispered 'It's all just a mask. He doesn't want you to notice his fury.' My eyes focused on his face. His eyes were puffy, his lower lip slowly shaking a little as he spoke to me.

" How're you feeling baby girl? " He calmly said.

I couldn't other than nod, and instinctively put my hand on top of the one he rested on the bed. But just as quickly I retracted it. But as if he put his hand on top of mine and locked fingers. Something inside of me wanted to retract again, but I still kept my hand still.

" Link's sleeping. He'll be so happy to see you okay when he wakes up. "

" Did I cause too much of a scene? " I asked.

Rhett turned his head more towards me.

" Don't worry about that. It's not your fault, please don't tell me you blame yourself. "

I sighed. Of course I had to blame myself. If I wasn't here, Link wouldn't have been so tired and sleeping in a chair. He'd be sleeping in a comfortable bed. Rhett wouldn't have red and puffy eyes from crying, I could clearly see he'd been doing it. Everything was my fault...