Chapter 2

Emma looked at a loss for words as she tried to figure out where Prince Carter was going to stay while he wanted to be away from his parents because if she didn't, then her plan to keep the prince around wasn't going to work. And I knew just how much she wanted her plan to work since her plan included making the prince fall in love with her so she could live happily ever after and be a princess by marrying the prince. And then eventually becoming queen when the time came for that to happen.

But that wasn't going to happen if Emma didn't think of where he was going to sleep at night time. I don't think either of our parents would welcome the prince in their homes when they knew that they could get in trouble for it. And I was pretty sure that by now everyone knew that the prince had run off. They just might be a little hazy on why.

"Oh crap," Emma said more to herself than to anyone else in the car. She drove a little farther before she pulled the car over after driving down a narrow road that led to some houses. I didn't live down this road and neither did Emma. She probably just wanted to park somewhere that wasn't on the main road and where we would be out of the way.

"What are you doing? We need to keep going," Prince Carter said leaning forward. His face appeared in between Emma and I, which meant that I could see it clearly as I would see mine when looking in the mirror. It looked smooth.

His blonde hair looked just as smooth as his skin. He was pretty much how you would imagine a prince to be, except that Prince Carter was currently not in his palace. He was in the backseat of a car with two of his subjects that he probably would have never met if he hadn't decided to run away from his life. I wondered how long Prince Carter was going to last in our lifestyle. He was probably going to eventually miss his life and everything that came along with it. The lifestyle that Emma and I lived would look poor to him even though we were both better off than some families who were truly poor.

Neither Emma nor I came from wealthy families though. Both of our parents made just enough to get by and keep the old houses that we lived in. Houses that were in dire need of repairs, but there wasn't extra money like the prince had just sitting around that could be used to fix all those repairs that our houses need.

"Did you have any sort of plan of what you were going to do once you got away from your parents and the royal guards?" Emma asked him while turning around in her seat. I think she just about had a heart attack when she realized how close she was to the prince now.

"No, not really. I didn't actually think that I was going to escape. It's really hard to get past the guards. My parents only hire the best and they get rid of anyone who makes mistakes," Prince Carter replied giving me a glance before looking over at Emma.

"That's harsh. So, your parents don't even give those guards a chance to correct their mistakes?" I asked him. My voice made Prince Carter look back over at me. I could see his brown eyes clearly as he stared back at me and then said, "No. They don't want those mistakes costing someone their life."

"You must go through a lot of guards then because everyone makes mistakes," I responded staring back at him, unsure if he was actually trying to be intimidating or if that was just the way he stared at everyone when talking to them. Either way I didn't feel that intimidated by him. I had faced someone far more intimidating than him, my mother. She could be scary when she wanted to be. And Prince Carter wasn't scary at all.

"We do go through a lot of guards, but that just means that our lives are being protected because only the best stay behind," Prince Carter said shrugging his shoulders like it was no big deal that people were losing their jobs so quickly just because they made one mistake.

"Just because someone makes a mistake once doesn't mean that they're not the best anymore. It means they're human," I replied. It made me wonder how many of those guards had made one small mistake that could easily be corrected and it had cost them their job.